Need help with creating Culinary Arts Curriculum for Non-Profit

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by mikeperkins, Mar 19, 2019.

1. mikeperkins

mikeperkins

Exp:
    ChefTalk Members,

I work for a non-profit in Florida and I have been tasked to create a Culinary Arts Curriculum that will be roughly a 13-week training and all Individuals will walk out with a "Certification" and job placement. If anyone can share a Culinary Curriculum with me or point me in the right direction that would be GREAT!

pen pape likes this.
  2. dectra

dectra

Exp:
    Home Cook

Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I poked around an NVCC in Virginia for a while, their curriculum (roughly) was as noted below. Be tough to swing all of it in 13 weeks, but you could design it more to what you'd like to emphasize for your non profit group.

Writing Composition I
    Food Purchasing
    Principles of Culinary Arts I
    Hotel Restaurant Organization & Management I
    Garde Manger
    Menu Planning & Dining Room Services
    Food & Beverage Cost Control I
    Principles of Culinary Arts II
    Principles of Baking
    Sanitation & Safety
    Nutrition & Current Concepts in Diet

chef_matt likes this.
  3. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Community Kitchen Academy in Vermont does similar to what you are looking for.

I pasted this from a recent job posting on CL VT.

Community Kitchen Academy (CKA) is currently accepting applications for student enrollment in its successful culinary job training program.

Community Kitchen Academy is a 12-WEEK, Full-Time Job Training Program featuring:
    • Hands-on experience
    • Certifications
    • Attendance bonus and financial assistance
    • Job placement support
    • Potential to earn college credits!

DATES
    The next CKA Burlington program is scheduled to begin in March 11
    We will enroll 12 students. Applications are being accepted now.

Students are eligible for financial assistance, a weekly attendance bonus, culinary equipment and uniforms. Students can qualify for up to 9 accredited college credits, receive certified training for ServSafe Food Safety and are assisted in finding full-time employment.

PROGRAM
    Community Kitchen Academy prepares underemployed and unemployed Vermonters for a career in the food service industry and lifelong learning through an intensive program of culinary skills development, career readiness and job placement. Students actively develop and apply new skills by creating wholesome meals for those at risk of hunger using food that has been gathered from within our communities that may otherwise go to waste.

Community Kitchen Academy
    Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf
    228 N Winooski Ave, Burlington, VT 05401

Hope this helps!
    Peachcreek

4. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
  5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would definitely include a sanitation module. For that you can follow the NRA's (National Restaurant Assoc.) Servsafe program. Get someone certified as an instructor/proctor and you can even give them the official exam, which will get them their Servsafe certification which almost all states recognize. Sending out potential employees that are already Servsafe certified will make them much more desirable.

DaxCooks likes this.
  6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    If I were to create a culinary arts program I would include a class on raw materials handling and receiving.

DaxCooks and chef_matt like this.
  7. mikeperkins

mikeperkins

Exp:
    Thak you all very much for the responses it it greatly appreciated. So does anyone actually have a Curriculum Training Format (sample) that is already typed out they can share?

8. DaxCooks

DaxCooks

Exp:
    What?
    I don't Mike, if I was teaching this class I would start with an avacado egg, toast lesson. Because it teaches so many fundamentals. Eggs are simple but take focus to get right, they can cross contaminate stuff, it's a lesson in fats (let students use butter, lard, and olive oil to understand smoke points), cooking technique (over easy vs poached vs. Sunnyside/fried), knife techniques (so many ways to cut an avacado), and hope to work with bread to elevate it. A simple recipe with endless variation.

Mischief likes this.
  9. jcakes

jcakes

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Reach out to Lazarus House in Lawrence MA; they have a culinary program like the one you are launching. I've taught modules in the past for them; they include ServSafe training in the classroom so the graduates are certified when they leave the program.