Need Help With Aioli

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mrdecoy1, Nov 13, 2012.

1. mrdecoy1

mrdecoy1

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    After a couple failed attempts I finally made aioli without breaking, just wondering what I can do about the bitter flavor that settles at the back of the tongue. I used 1 tsp garlic crushed, 1/2 lemon juice squeezed, 1 egg yolk, 1 cup olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Add the lemon juice at the end to taste.

3. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    don't use evoo...use either canola oil or a blend......evoo is too strong for aioli... i also add a tsp of dijon.....joey

4. mrdecoy1

mrdecoy1

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I thought olive oil only is the real way Provence.  

5. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Nah.  Unless you are eating something plain and raw technique matters so much more than ingredients.

6. mrdecoy1

mrdecoy1

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Not sure what you are saying Kuan.

7. mrdecoy1

mrdecoy1

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Also am I suppose to remove the tops and bottoms of a garlic clove and the green pit in the center? 

8. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If the garlic is green in the center, that could be the cause of your bitterness. Sprouting garlic does tend to be a bit bitter.

It could also be your oil. Taste a bit of oil on its own to see if that's where the bitterness is coming from. If it is, try another oil. And I agree with not using all EVOO. It's too strongly flavored.

9. chef bilby

chef bilby

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you Confit your Garlic in Duck Fat or even a mild Olive oil it will not only give you a smoother even sweeter flavour to you garlic you will be left with a wonderful infused garlic oil to cook , marinade or use as the oil in you mayoniase when making your Aoili .

Oh yeah Confit for the laymen - To cook very slowly in oil or the rendered fat of the animal /img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif  yum!!!!! 

10. mrdecoy1

mrdecoy1

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    This sounds great, should I blanch the garlic before I confit? or is that not necessary? 

11. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    sorry, no offense meant here but please mrdecoy1 there is no need to make garlic confit first just to make a garlic aioli,...you have a recipe that works for you...just go with it...change up your oil to either a blended olive/canola blend or even a light olive oil...don't overthink this...it's simplicity at it's best....i will add though that adding a bit of warm water( and i mean a bit) at the end will help to stabilize it......

another thought...experiment a bit and make a different aioli (lemon-basil, tarragon, chipotle etc.) without the garlic...see where that takes you

joey

12. mrdecoy1

mrdecoy1

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    None taken and I see your point. If I were to do the confit though, isn't there some food illness risk in simmering garlic in duck fat?