Need Help w/ Boudin Noir(Blood Sausage)

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by MilesLong, Apr 21, 2018.

1. MilesLong

MilesLong

Exp:
    Chef
    I always made boudin noir from scratch and woud typically serve it whole by pricking the skins before searing it on the pan and then finishing it off in the oven during service.

However, I've recently been playing around with slicing the boudin noir up and pan frying it. The problem is I can't get the slices to keep their shape and they pretty much melt into an unattractive but tasty sludge. Perhaps increasing the corn starch content a bit when mixing the blood, fat, onions, leeks, and seasonings might do the trick? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It would help if you posted your recipe. There are many variations to boudin noir...you might try researching the British "black pudding" since this is often sliced and crisped up on a griddle.

3. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Agreed - I used to get "black pudding" from Ireland and we sliced it and cooked in a skillet. It was @ 30 yrs. ago, but as I recall it has a cereal content that helped it hold its shape.

4. MilesLong

MilesLong

Exp:
    Chef
    I'm avoiding using cereals in my boudin noir. No matter, I remedied the issue by using a few eggs as binder and it came out perfect. Thanks for the input though.