Need help using up ingredients....

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kccjer, Apr 22, 2013.

1. kccjer

kccjer

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Help!  I have an overabundnce of fresh milk, farm fresh eggs and ricotta cheese.  I've been doing quiche, but that's getting old fast.  I've done lasagna too.  Are there any other suggestions?  Ice cream has been suggested and that sounds fantastic!  But....since everyone in my family tends to have a slight weight issue, that's not a good everyday option.  

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I scream

ICE CREAM

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smiles.gif

3. kccjer

kccjer

Exp:
    Home Cook
    LOL  I know!  But none of us needs ice cream very often!  There is absolutely nothing that can compare with homemade ice cream....

4. kccjer

kccjer

Exp:
    Home Cook
    When I say an overabundance I mean....this morning I'm processing 3 gallons of milk into cheese with another 1/2 gallon reserved for drinking, cooking, etc.  AND....I only have 16 doz eggs in my fridge.  Nope, not a typo....16 doz!  I think 3 of those are bantam and pullet eggs, so they are small eggs, but still.  That's a lot of ice cream.  I've been doing deviled eggs, but we're getting kinda tired of those after a couple weeks.  I've got some in pickle juice.... I'll be getting another gallon of milk tonight after milking too.... 

5. j20832

j20832

Exp:
    Other
    Make some yogurt.  Very easy, and uses up a lot of milk.  Of course, you do end up with a lot of whey.... but it is very healthy!

For the eggs (and maybe the ricotta) you could make a few strattas or frittatas.

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I can only think of cheese, souffle, and custards/quiches.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  7. willtherebefood

willtherebefood

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ricotta tart? Not sure if that is better than ice cream!! :(. Bread pudding or breakfast strata. Maybe ricotta gnocchi. You could make a large batch of crepes and freeze them.

kccjer likes this.
  8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If you have so much and can't find something healthy to make with them (let's face it, ice cream will keep the longest and you could use less sugar), why not donate them to a local soup kitchen where people can really use them?

9. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Great recommendaton!!!!

10. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ricotta cheese cake is always nice to have if you aren't watching what you eat.

Ricotta cheese lemon tart.

Stuffed shells.

ricotta panna cotta.

kccjer likes this.
  11. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi kccjer,

I'm intrigued. Why exactly do you have so much gorgeous produce on hand? Do you live on a farm? Do you have a dairy benefactor?...You lucky person you!

Do Tell 

12. agatalaura

agatalaura

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    ricotta salata; sponge cake, sponge layers, genoise; angel food cake, any pudding or custard

13. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Maybe none of us need it very often, but ricotta, fresh basil, and cracked black pepper, olive oil ice cream topped with fresh strawberries should be one everyone's bucket list; and squirreled away in the freezer ain't such a bad idea either.

14. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    OK Cheflayne. It's now on my bucket list but a recipe would be nice. I've googled it and not come up with anything that sounds quite right.

15. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ricotta, Basil, and Cracked Black Pepper, Olive Oil Ice Cream

Weight or Volume                                                                  Ingredients

6 tablespoons                                                                          black peppercorns

1 cup                                                                                       manufacturing cream

6 tablespoons                                                                          basil leaves

2 ½ cups                                                                                  ricotta

1 lemon                                                                                   zest

1 cup                                                                                       sugar

1 pinch                                                                                    kosher salt

6 tablespoons                                                                          basil, blanched, chopped

1 tablespoon                                                                            limoncello

½ cup                                                                                      extra virgin olive oil

Procedure:

Toast and coarsely crack the peppercorns. Add half of the pepper to the cream and bring to a simmer. Cover. Turn heat off and let steep 30 minutes. Strain through an etamine and then chill cream. When cream is cold, bring some heavily salted water to a boil and briefly dunk basil leaves. Remove and immediately add to cold cream. Bring cream to a simmer. Cover. Turn heat off and let steep for 30 minutes. Place in a blender and puree. Strain through an etamine. Put ricotta, zest, sugar, and salt in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add limoncello and strained cream. Blend. Refrigerate until well chilled. Add reserved black pepper, chopped basil, and olive oil. Mix well. Freeze in ice cream maker.

If you want to go over the top, after you top the ice cream with fresh strawberries drizzle with some aged balsamic such as http://www.m5corporation.com/Il-Grande-Vecchio-100-Year-Aged-Balsamic-Vinegar-p/m1940.htm

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  16. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    All 3 can be frozen for latter use in cooking or baking . Break eggs first add dash salt freeze in plastic bags

17. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Time to start making hard cheese...

18. kccjer

kccjer

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Already making cheddar.  Haven't got the courage to try a washed curd cheese yet.  But I don't use many eggs in my cheese!  LOL  The cheddar is pretty good, definitely not store bought and it does taste a little different since this is goats milk I'm talking about

19. kccjer

kccjer

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Can't donate perishables to any place around here.  We live in a very rural area and there aren't any soup kitchens....too bad cause that would be a fantastic idea

20. kccjer

kccjer

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ok, I need a recipe for this.....