Need help managing my baking schedule for a big event

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by granola girl, Oct 24, 2016.

1. granola girl

granola girl

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I really am hoping for some help managing a 2,000 piece dessert bar baking schedule. I am making the following. all due on Friday, Oct 28th. 

Done so far ...nutter butters dipped in white choc as ghosts, pretzel rods dipped in green choc with almond slice as fingers,

homemade marshmallows, granola

Not done yet...

200 brownies

100 choc chip cookies

300 pumpkin cheesecake bars, 

500 mini cupcakes

200 rice krispy bars

How early can I make the not done yet items and still have them taste fresh for Friday? Do you think I can bake the cheesecakes now and freeze them and take them to the venue frozen? I'm thinking they will defrost during set up. Does anyone have experience with this scale? This is my biggest order yet. And a very important client.

Thank you

granola girl

2. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Does the contract specify portion sizes?

How many ovens/sheet pans are you working with?

Those will be a factor in the time line.

Have you ever frozen and revived a cheesecake?

If this were me and the answer was no I would not practice on my most important customer.

If yes....go for it.

mimi

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I would have already made the cookie dough so anytime now lol.

Portion and freeze to bake late Thursday.

Brownies just need time to cool and set up (for a nice clean cut) I would do those early Friday (the trick is to line the pan with foil, leaving some to hang over sides like handles...pull them out and place on the cooling rack...easy peasy ;-)

Cuppies can be baked on Thursday and iced/decorated Friday.

Krispy bars worst enemy is humidity (no fridge or freezer for those IME) .. the cereal will suck up any available moisture and feel stale in the mouth.

Good luck.

mimi

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  4. granola girl

granola girl

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Well, I barely survived the giant order. On Friday, Strange Science an evening of Oddities was the Steampunk meets Werewolf of London party hosted by The Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens in San Marino. The night before the event I went to drop off all the set up equipment, decorations for the tablescape, and serving plates. Well, they tell me the guest list has jumped from 1500 to 2500. Huge difference. I decided we better bring more desserts. I stayed at the bakery til 6 am baking as much as I could. The Huntington is a VIP client. This is the third time they have ordered from me, but never have I done a bake job of this level. Talk about stress. And we only had 2 week notice to get the baking, cupcake towers, serving platters, and decorations all figured out. Thank you to all of you who had good advice on how to manage my production. I ended up not freezing anything because I ran out of time. We took what we could fit in our cars. The table set up time was at 5:15pm and dessert bar opens at 7:30pm. My sweet man, who works the cupcake shop with me, takes care of the set up and starts putting out all the things he can. My in house vegan chef came with 800 vegan treats-cookies, cupcakes, and flourless chocolate cake. My other chef comes with 300 cakepops. And yours truly, comes in with all the rest- brownies, rice krispies, zombie fingers, nutter butter ghosts, homemade chocolate and strawberry marshmallows, cupcakes, jalapeño granola, gluten free pumpkin cheesecake, and chocolate chip bread pudding. It was fierce, how fast food was disappearing off the trays. In one hour we were tapped out. I had to make a dash back to the bakery to get the other items that wouldn't fit in the first load. People were waiting in line for 20-30 mins….One woman said "Rumor has it that you are bringing more. I hope so, otherwise your gonna have an angry mob." Yikes. I came back with just enough time to serve the extra cheesecakes, rice krispiy bars, and cupcakes that I at the shop. It was a successful event but really a lot of work. I learned a lot. 

Cheers,

one tired granola girl

5. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Awesome.

The crazy adrenalin rush is what kept me in catering long after I didn't need to work so much.

You made me a bit sentimental lol.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

mimi