need help for lunch menu

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by hime, Nov 1, 2010.

1. hime

hime

Exp:
    Just Graduated From Culinary School
    my friend coming to my place this weekend and i want to make them a lunch and a afternoon tea as well. it for 4 people and my menu goes like this: fresh bake bread ( made by my self ) , garlic butter , bolonise pasta , anf for the dessert green tea white chocolate scones with some muffins or cupcake. i think is good simple lunch menu but somehow i fell something is missing, maybe a salad or soup or some appetisers , but can't think any that great to be paired. can u help me and tell me what you think . thanks 

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I think I would round it out with a salad, just to counterbalance a meal that is, essentially, carbohydrate loading.

In fact, while I appreciate your desire to show off your baking skills, I would change the dessert. Maybe something fruity? Or perhaps a flavored panna cotta?

3. hime

hime

Exp:
    Just Graduated From Culinary School
    i thinking the dessert would be together with some tea and coffee for the afternoon tea that's why i think cupcake and scones would be good but i'm agreeing something fruity would a good idea even though i'm not sure that panna cotta can be paired with tea and coffee. maybe some fruit pie???

4. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm slightly confused Hime,

The pasta, Homemade bread and garlic butter sounds lovely for lunch. Perhaps, as KYH suggests, a salad too.

Surely the scones and cakes are to be served a few hours later for afternoon tea. With sandwiches and tea.

The dessert after the pasta would need to be light. Maybe even a cheese board and fruit.  Panacotta would be ideal, as would icecream.

Please correct me if i've mis-understood

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  5. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I see now. I took your original thread to read that you were serving the scones as a dessert to follow the pasta.

I like the idea of white chocolate and green tea - never would have associated the taste with scones. Is this you're own recipe?

Good luck with your entertaining. I look forward to hearing how it went

All the best

6. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I took your original thread to read that you were serving the scones as a dessert to follow the pasta.

That's how I read it, bughut, which is why I suggested it would be a carb overload.