Need help finding a baking pan

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Found a brownie recipe I want to make. The pan called for is  13 x 18 x 1.5. I can only find 13 x 18 x 1; anything 2" is 26" long. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

norcalbaker59

Banned
Joined Feb 16, 2017
The only way I know to get a 13"x18"x 2" is using a pan extender with the jelly roll pan. Webstaurant sells extenders and jelly rolls.

But I own a 12" x 18" x 3" cake pan. It's manufactured by Fat Daddio. I don't remember where I purchased it, probably from Sur La Table since they were the first retailer to stock a large selection of that brand. You should be able to locate it online. I don't think Fat Daddio does direct sales. But it's a very popular brand, so widely distributed now.

Fat Daddio is anodized aluminum so it conducts heat better than untreated aluminum bakeware. Fat Daddio recommends reducing temperature or bake time. Most baker's prefer to reduce temperature because it's easier to control browning. Also with reduced temperature, less chance of over baking and drying out. So reduce temperature by 15 degrees if baking A dark colored cake or brownie; 25° if baking a light colored cake.

Magic Line makes a 12" x 18" x 2" and a 12" x 18" x 3". Both available at Global Sugar Art. Magic Line is a premium bakeware line. It's the brand preferred by most cake baker's. I own one, it's a good pan. Global sugar art is a legit company. Magic Line is usually only available through restaurant supply stores, cake supply stores, and specialty retailers. You won't find it at places like Bed Bath & Beyond.

https://www.globalsugarart.com/ssearch?q=12 x 18 x 2 magic line pan

https://www.globalsugarart.com/cake-pan-rectangle-12-x-18-x-3-inches-by-magic-line.html

Ateco makes 12" x 18" x 2". Webstaurant sell it. Ive never used an Ateco cake pan, but I own a lot of their cutters, cake rings, utensils, and piping tips. It a decent brand. I've purchased from Webstaurant, and they are legit.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/13"-x-18"-x-2"-cake-pan.html

The difference in area between a 12" x 18" is about 8%. So you would not need to scale the recipe.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I would take a skeptical second look at any brownie recipe that results in a product thicker than about 1 inch. A 2 inch thick "brownie" is a "flourless cake".

Last edited:
Joined Jun 27, 2012
I would take a skeptical second look at any brownie recipe that results in a product thicker than about 1 inch. A 2 inch thick "brownie" is a "flourless cake".
My go to brownie recipe is baked in a 9x9 cake pan (Daddio) and ends up as a 3 inch thick chunk of bittersweet goodness.

It started out as an Alton Brown creation but by the time I got all my tweaks in is now my own.

I am not all that fond of the rectangular sheet shape for chocolate.

It is a fickle ingredient and prone to scorching (sides and ends) before the interior is done.

Just IME .

mimi

Joined Jun 27, 2012

Found a brownie recipe I want to make. The pan called for is  13 x 18 x 1.5. I can only find 13 x 18 x 1; anything 2" is 26" long. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Not having the recipe (how many cups does it make?) I cannot be for sure but depending on how thick you want it try a couple of 8X8 cake pans.

Yes you will have to adjust your baking time.

For a chewy product test with a bamboo skewer... stick it in the center and look for some moist crumbs.

HTH.

mimi

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Thanks for the replies :)

This is Ina Garten's recipe as featured on her show, if I can find the link, I will post it. Can I post the actual vid here? It's 21 MB.

Not sure how many cups it makes :/

She calls the pan "a half sheet pan, 13 by 18 by one and a half inches".... I guess I can use a pan that's 2", but was wondering if they actually made pans in 1/2 inch increments.

Last edited:

norcalbaker59

Banned
Joined Feb 16, 2017
Thanks for the replies :)

This is Ina Garten's recipe as featured on her show, if I can find the link, I will post it. Can I post the actual vid here? It's 21 MB.

Not sure how many cups it makes :/

She calls the pan "a half sheet pan, 13 by 18 by one and a half inches".... I guess I can use a pan that's 2", but was wondering if they actually made pans in 1/2 inch increments.

Ohhhh, that's Ina Garten's Outrageous Brownies recipe. That's a standard 1/2 sheet jelly roll pan which is 1" deep, not 1 1/2".

I don't think there's a mainstream baking blogger who hasn't baked Garten's Outrageous Brownies. I've made it--and made riffs off it when my son asked me for a low carb, low fat brownie. You're fine with a standard 1/2 sheet pan.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Last edited:

norcalbaker59

Banned
Joined Feb 16, 2017
Ah, ok. But she did say 1.5 :)

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/ina.mp3

How are the brownies? Good? I am thinking of using  Callebaut chocolate... good choice?

Thanks!

I used the recipe from the website. This is one of Garten's most loved recipes. It has a cult like following among avid bakers. I did not see the video from her tv episode; so she may have inadvertently said 1 1/2" deep pan. But there is no such thing as a half sheet pan that is 1 1/2".

The recipe is very good. I've used Callebaut 60% dark (chopped from 5 kilo block) and Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips with great results. I have to confess that I use my own mixing method though.

Brownie recipes always have you mixing by hand; but I use my stand mixer because beating results in the crinkle top.

I beat the sugar into the butter and chocolate for about 20 seconds with the whisk attachment. Then add the eggs and vanilla and beat about another 30 seconds. Then switch to the paddle attachment to complete the rest of the mixing. I toss the espresso powder in with the dry ingredients. The flour mixture is mixed in very slowly until just combined.

Top Bottom