Need Assistance Identifying my Japanese Chef Knives

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by richskitchen, Jan 23, 2013.

1. richskitchen

richskitchen

Exp:
    At home cook
    I received this beautiful pair of Japanese chef knives as a wedding gift in 1999, but have since discarded the original packaging.

Due to a renewed interest, I am determined to identify the manufacturer. They are a 7" Usuba and an 8" Yanagi. I thought they might have been Kikuichi, but have since found out they are not.

I'd greatly appreciate anyone's insight here. Thanks.

2. wubu

wubu

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I want to say it's a Tojiro, their traditional series...which are more "artistic" with their brand etching..

http://tojiro.net/en/products/knives_j.html

could possibly be the blue paper carbon or judging by the lack of patina I'll assume it's the moly-vanadium stainless instead. Also, I can't tell from the photos whether it's the 2-layer moly or the single steel moly, which you should be able to see at the bevel line.

the 郎 on their wa handle knives look more like 房 to me though, which annoys me a bit :p

edit: forgot their traditional knives page has an english version :p

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  3. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I think they might be early versions of what's now Tojiro's "Forged MV" series.  I'm not sure at all, but think they're made from something like AUS-8.  Ish. 

Don't plan on financing your kids' college educations by putting them up on e-bay.  They're entry level, not high end. 

BDL

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  4. richskitchen

richskitchen

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for your input.  Much appreciated.