Need an advice on freezing meatballs

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Alex7403, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Alex7403

Alex7403

Exp:
    Again there is too much love in the pan
    Hello everybody,
    I'm a home cook and I make meatballs and freeze them.
    my recipe goes like this: mix 1 cup breadcrumbs, 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, 1 egg, 1 lb frozen chopped spinach, 3 lb ground meats, garlic powder and other spices.
    Mix it, roll into balls and bake it at 400F , let it cool and freeze it for few weeks.

I want to add several ingredients such as fresh chopped parsley, chopped onions fried in olive oil, chopped garlic fried in olive oil.

Questions: Can I add those ingredients to the mixture if I want to freeze the baked meatballs, i was told not to add garlic and in general fried foods are not great when you defrost them?

Thanks

2. Livin' The Country Life

Livin' The Country Life

Exp:
    :)
    I love making frozen meals, I am not an expert but ... I have always added garlic to my meatballs, and my meatloaf that I have prepared for freezing, I have never had an issue with it, taste or otherwise! :)

fatcook likes this.
  3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Why were you told not to add garlic?

I freeze meatballs too but I freeze them raw. I just like cooking them fresh. They freeze really well and are super easy to pop into the oven.

4. Alex7403

Alex7403

Exp:
    Again there is too much love in the pan
    Because i dont want to go through cooking them everytime I just defrost them in the microwave.

5. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    You can freeze baked meatballs with any ingredient inside. No worry.

6. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I make meatballs in mushroom gravy quite often. Freezes well in an airtight container. Garlic in them is fine to freeze too. I freeze in Food Saver bags then reheat in a pan of simmering water. Tastes like fresh!

7. fatcook

fatcook

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    This may be meatball heresy to some, but we make ours into cubes. Super easy to bake, and when used for subs they stay on the roll better.

8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If you don’t mind the texture of microwaved meatballs then there’s no worries, all ingredients should do fine in the freezer.

9. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I love this idea, meatcubes! Also they probably brown better too. It sounds ridiculously difficult to shape them into cubes though, how do you do it? I want to freak out my husband next time I make meatballs lol.

10. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I have had unfortunate experiences with raw meatballs freezing and thawing.
    I find that I must cook the onion and garlic, allow it to cool and than add it to the raw meat mixture.
    When I did not, the meat had soured when thawed.

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What kind of onion do you use? When making most meatballs I use scallion and never had a problem. I only cook the onion when I make Swedish meatballs.

12. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hmmm, I make Meatballs in large batches, as you do Alex, using 3 pounds of meat:1 Ground Beef, 1 Ground Veal and 1 Sweet Italian Sausage, along with 1 C. Breadcrumbs, 2-4 Tbsp. Milk, just enough to moisten the breadcrumbs, 2-4 cloves of Garlic, minced, ¼ C. Parmesan Cheese, grated, 2-4 Tbsp. fresh Flat Leaf or Italian Parsley, chopped, 1 Egg, beaten, 1 Tbsp. each, dried Oregano and Basil Salt & Pepper to taste.
    004.JPG
    I use a small disher, place everybody on a sheet pan, pop that into the deep freeze until rock solid.
    Bag in a zip-top freezer bag and retrieve as needed.
    When we're ready to have Rigs & Meatballs, I defrost the required number of said meatballs on a
    quarter sheet pan lined with tin foil, and bake at 350⁰ for about 20-30 minutes (internal temp of
    165⁰) and add to a saucepan of simmering red sauce for a bit... Mangiamo!

drirene likes this.