need advice!

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by Anthony j. DiBernardo, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Anthony j. DiBernardo

Anthony j. DiBernardo

Exp:
    line cook, pizza maker
    I just moved to Pennsylvania about two weeks ago, i stay in Allentown and i am currently not in a kitchen position. I have about two years kitchen experience but have been cooking at home for quite some time. I was in the process of applying to a couple of culinary schools but the more i look into it the more i think its a waste of money for me. I would be very interested in an internship or apprenticeship as there is no better substitute for experience. If anybody has any suggestions or pointers everything would be greatly appreciated. I am only twenty years old and just left my job at a Italian restaurant in Clearwater, Fl. Thank you!

2. Dianaleigh88

Dianaleigh88

Exp:
    Chef
    Hello, one thing I can say is all the culinary school students and grads that have worked for me don't know jack. I truly believe that culinary school is only what you put into it. You must have some talent and a lot of passion or you will be wasting your time and money.

Look up the American Culinary Federation. I did an apprenticeship through them and it was fantastic!

My other suggestion is to apply to scratch kitchen restaurants in your area. When you get hired make sure you show initiative, and the willingness to learn and be taught. Be a self starter and be very focused on your task at hand, putting out a great product no matter what station they place you in. If you work hard, have drive and passion you can work your way up. I started in a kitchen putting sauces on plates as a teenager and over the years I tried to learn as much as I could. I just opened up my own restaurant four years ago.

Anthony j. DiBernardo likes this.
  3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    The best advice I can offer is to get up...shower and shave (skip the cologne) dress business casual...clean your nails...then get out and beat the streets.
    If you have a beard take time to groom it as well (maybe even cut it back a bit).
    Choose a slack time (early afternoon) and visit some places and ask if the chef is available.
    Luck...
    mimi

Anthony j. DiBernardo likes this.
  4. Anthony j. DiBernardo

Anthony j. DiBernardo

Exp:
    line cook, pizza maker
    I did exactly that this morning! I printed my resume and hit the streets and after a couple of let downs I found a general manager of a couple of successful restaurants and explained that I cannot afford to go to college at this time but am willing to work and learn anything I can. I am eager to get back in the kitchen and learn everything I can. I have a couple of other places in mind but the gentleman I met today seemed very professional and understanding he stated that their head chef also did not attend college and he is very good at his profession. Thank you for the reply!