Need advice on Red seal exam

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cjl_2006, Sep 24, 2009.

1. chef lionheart

chef lionheart

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hi CJL_2006 how are you? Im am planning to take that red seal exam too hope you can help me can i ask a copy of the mock exam your Chef gave you. Thanks in advance bro!
    Heres my email add [email protected]

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  2. praties

praties

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    For those asking for practice test questions:

CJL_2006 posted that in 2009 and hasn't made any posts since the three he/she made in this thread five years ago.  I checked the Red Seal website and there's a 20 question sample of the sorts of things you'll find on the test here http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]?tid=54&fid=13

Good luck!

3. chef world

chef world

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Hello Chefs,

I want to give my red seal exam this year. Which books to refer for the exam.

Thanks

Rohan

4. chefboyog

chefboyog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    On Cooking, the book, has a Study Guide. It has kweshtuns in it. Ask a friend to ask random kweshtuons from the book. Practice the practical in real time, have your journeyman help. Do the work. Have fun.

Food pump you should challenge the test get it off your chest haha.

I have a mock question. Did your mother dress you? Oo yeah Im mocking them pants. You show up with PEPPER PANTS and dont think Im gonna say something. Those pants are hot etc etc. youve all been mocked. Carry on.

Anyone know does pro cooking books have study guides?

5. chefboyog

chefboyog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  6. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Originally Posted by chefboyOG  

Food pump you should challenge the test get it off your chest haha.

Anyone know does pro cooking books have study guides?

I already have a B.C. red seal.  I did a three year cook's (NOT CHEF's) apprenticeship in '85--'88 in Switzerland.  When I came to B.C. I could get an red seal equivalency for it.

The Go2 website (B.C. only) will give plenty of information of what kind of books need to be studied. Whatever province you're in should have an equivalent, and I.T.A. should haven links to your province and whatever is required

The only pro cooking book that has a study guide is "Classical cooking the modern way" by Pauli.  Basically it's a companion book with about a thousand questions, with references to the associated chapters.  This book was, and still is, as far as I know, the textbook for all Swiss cook's apprentices.  If you don't know that book inside and out, you will never pass.

I tend to mock people who ask for copies of tests, for answers to tests, or for me to do thier homework.  It's your credential--not mine, I owe nobody nothing. 

7. chefboyog

chefboyog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    "The only pro cooking book that has a study guide is "Classical cooking the modern way" by Pauli. "

You are stating that like its a fact when I posted earlier a picture of the guide I used. Very dismissive.

I meant Professional Cooking, the actual book: A lot of people seem to use this one:

Ah I see they grandfathered your red seal from your experience in Switzerland? Or you challenged it? You are/ were very heavy handed against the red seal IMO but thats your opinion. The practical obviously is done with the journeyman in On the job training. I got mine in 2008 and they still do mult choice in my province. I am not against practical testing by any means however.

We already had this conversation now I think about it haha another time another thread.

Im with you Foodpump on mocking people who are looking for the actual test questions. Cheating won' t get you too far, sillypants!

I am all for people furthering their knowledge by whatever means presented to them we all get different opportunities in life, not all including a view of the alps.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  8. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Prior to 2010 I was totally against the red seal in B.C.

After 2010 I'm all for it

Why?

That's when the criteria changed.  No more 150 "mutipul chos" kweshtuns, but instead a real test, but more importantly a real practical exam with real time limits and real Chefs looking over your shoulder.

Heckuva change...

Basically a whole new test, and at least this time the emphasis is on cooking.  What a concept!

As well, the Province is phasing out the whole "Challenging" crapola.  You write your  cook I, then Cook II, then you can write your Cook III.  No more "challenging".  You see, the ITA figures that if you "challenge" you know everything, this includes what books to read and how to prepare yourself for the exam.  Which is why nobody knows what to expect or how to prepare.  

spoiledbroth likes this.
  9. chefboyog

chefboyog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    When did you get your red seal :p ( I dont really care).

I am for the new system I think that is great. I hope it catches on across Canada. Especially because it seems CCC is losing momentum. Although Im still interested in pursuing that CCC and doing a practical in kitchen test.

10. bontar

bontar

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Just got back into working in kitchens after a Long hiatus. debating on going through the work for my Red Seal. I cooked for a very long time and did have some culinary training in the past as well. I am wondering, Is it worth it to get my Red Seal? would i make much more, is it worth the time? I'm mid way up on Vavcouver island so i don't even know if there would even be better work out here. lord knows theres not much here period unless your a kid. I'm in my early 40's, is it to late?

Thanks for any advice.

11. chefboyog

chefboyog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Be like nike.

Ask yourself; do I like to learn? Do I like to write exams?

Why the F not. Dont be lazy.

12. spoiledbroth

spoiledbroth

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hehe stumbled upon sauce nantua and variations thereof in a cookbook today.

13. fablesable

fablesable

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    @Bontar   I am of the mind that if you want to work for someone else and make a decent wage through corporate restaurants, hotels, etc. then it is a good idea to get your Red Seal. Other than that, I don't think it is relevant if you are able to cook decently, follow instruction/recipe, and can handle the hours and workload. The Red Seal is a ponzi scheme (IMO) as they get you to pay extortionate amounts of money to get "certified" to do the same things my grandparents did for a living without a Red Seal. But that is just one's opinion and not to be read nor taken for advice. I have however, met more people with insane amounts of skill and enthusiasm in the kitchen who do not have their Red Seal than people with Red Seals that cannot cook nor have a good attitude for the world of food. The choice is yours. I caution to do your homework and ask MILLIONS of questions of the people who are in the industry to formulate your plan for the future. 

I wish you well! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

14. jessore01

jessore01

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Hi There,

I have more than 9000 hrs working experience in culinary field. I heard if anybody have 8000 hrs working experience, he can appear Red Seal Chef exam. But the things is what document need to be submitted that proof  I have 8000 hrs working hours. plese let me know if u have information

15. chefboyog

chefboyog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Every other trade has certification.
    The apprenticeship grant actually pays you to get your blocks and seal, up to 4k ( about 1k each exam). If you are making typical kitchen pay, then going on EI and getting the grant will net you more whike you complete blocks.

@Jessore01 there used to be a " grandfather clause" that let you challenge the seal. They may or may not let you, the provincial govt runs it. Contact your local Apprenticeship office, community college, cook school etc they should all know or be able to find out. In my opinion the hours should be done under supervision if a journeyman and while indentured in the program.

16. chefmarcel

chefmarcel

Exp:
    Former Chef
    bro you have to get a book called "ON COOKING" its the official book at least in Ontario.. maybe you can get a variant where you are.

17. shiva kumar

shiva kumar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello Chefs,

iam planning to take a red seal exam in 2 months time anybody can suggest any online study material  like online course please..,

18. chefboyog

chefboyog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Amazon.ca Will sell you this book for about 60$

NB Canada just switched to it from " on Cooking" recently.

CIA of America textbook. Professional Chef

Good luck on your exam.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  19. aman puri

aman puri

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hello there!

I recently graduated from college with post grad in culinary management. During my course of studies i was also working at various places including some known hotels in Toronto. I am an international student and was not eligible for apprenticeship for 3 years and now doing that doesn't make any sense. I am looking forward to give my red seal exam as soon as possible. I dont have 6000 hours as of now and therefore i was going through the rules and requirements for a journey person and was wondering if my education could be considered any ways and if i could be eligible to give my red seal before completing 6000 hours. I have been working at various hotel setups and find red seal as a requirement at most of the setups to grow. 

I second your opinions that red seal is not only the way to determine a chef or cook, there is much more to be a successful. 

Looking forward to your valuable advice and views on the situation.

Thanks peeps.

20. rbrad

rbrad

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Your time in school should count as 2000 hours which will let you write your first block....ask your chef or contact the apprenticeship department.