Need advice on Red seal exam

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cjl_2006, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    WOW.

2. shanks

shanks

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hi
    I am not going to make the mistake of asking for sample questions because I saw foodpumps previous post and Charmin double rolls were half price this week so I have "papers". Haha
    I get the fact that it is just a piece of paper, but the idea of the test can be intimidating. the fear of failing, the fear of finding out that I don't know as much as I thought I did. It is what has kept me from taking it for a few years now.

But I do agree with the statment that someone made earlier about (and I am paraphrasing) just because someone has their seal doesn't mean they can cook. I have known a few sealed cooks that can't hack it on a line, but because they test well they have their papers.

But all that being said, I want the seal for me. To prove to myself I can do it.
    Sorry I got a little introspective there for a minute. Haha

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  3. shanks

shanks

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Also I went to the Ita site like you suggested foodpump. Thanks

4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Thank you.

Bear in mind that a red seal from 2010 and earlier was nothing more than a multiple choice question exam.  After that Go2 finally implemented the live cooking component of the test which includes a fair amount of baking.  Alta. and B.C. are the only two provinces that I know of that actually require live cooking as part of the test.

5. shanks

shanks

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I live in Ontario, so I guess that I won't be cooking in my exam, but it would be cool to see what that would be like. The best advice I received before reading this site was "it's like a Food Theroy exam" and "read up on eels" so I am glad to be directed to some useful sites I found in this forum.

6. cheffy50

cheffy50

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    hello my friend I too took the test and failed by 1 mark

the guy at the office said to me

your gonna find some stupid questions that don't really pertain to the field anymore

How stupid is that

I find that evenif you cooked for the queen they wont touch you without the seal

even though the guy told me that its optional.

7. chef1997

chef1997

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You must remember that the red seal exams are a government controlled exam. Common sense is out the door. way back when I stuck to the book and reasonned out the answers that were not in the book but in the practicum. after and the seals are yours the art of culinary creation is yours to enjoy. 5 medals later i still love to compete and at times wing it. But you are absolutely right in your judgement. coffee is usually brewed at the highest temperature to extract all oils and flavor. chicken you are right but in saying chicken they didn't say fryer or roaster so size was implied. You can try to challenge the exam but be prepared to pay for it.My advice is to rewrite quickly so study time is minimal. Your knowledge and reason is commendable but some answers you will have to reason the wording out. Great luck

8. bongzilla

bongzilla

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I know, I dont know everything, and ive only been in this game (as a serious profession) for 4 years but are there any text books or resource sites that anyone would suggest that would aid in the advancement of my education towards my red seal? I'd much rather work side by side my chef, and pick his/her brain but my current situation doesnt allow for much of that.

9. chef1997

chef1997

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You really have to think carefully here. the government is going to give you a multiple choice exam on the art of Cooking. that alone has so many paradoxes one can get lost.

Know your conversions of temp

Know your cuts of meats

know the styles of preparation

know the questions not asked and you will do fine.

I wrote the exam sick as a dog and rocked on the results. then try the competitions that is the mark of true art. Most restaurants and hotels will assist you for the free publicity. you cannot rest on your red seals and say that is that. you will find yourself improving daily on the most simple of things with gold medals as the real seals. Good Luck

10. fungi91

fungi91

Exp:
    Line Cook
    My question about the exam is a bit different. I was wondering what the formal process is for validating your 8,000 hours is.

Thanks

11. ruben s

ruben s

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi there ,

My name is Ruben go for red seal exam I have over 7000hrs and Diplima in Hotel mgmt
    Plz help me out study method and questionnaire for red seal I have reserved only 3 monrhs time for self-study !!!!

Plz any one who got experienced that would be grat to me

Thanks

Ruben

12. bcboy

bcboy

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    what books did you read? ive read this whole thread and this is by far the most intelligent input

13. frenchies

frenchies

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi BC boy!

Here's the first thing you need: Passion...if you truly love food, eating and appreciate flavours everything you read will stick (most of it anyways).

I don't have my red seal but have been cooking for as long as I can remember, so here is a partial list of all the books I've read and the ones I own :Escoffier,  Le grand Larousse Gastronomique(in French), Professional Chef (Culinary institute of America), Professional Cooking (Gisslen), Encyclopedia of cooking, Encyclopedia of Creative Cooking, Time Life series: Foods of the World and Cuisiner mieux and then slews of books...cooking books, books on wine, whiskey, preserves, baking, butchering, various cultures, food rites and rituals, street foods, books that specialize in herbs and spices, pasta..Also, online I have found sites with recipes that date back as far as the 14th century...very interesting and a very different look at food.

You need to cook for the right reason, passion for food, passion for eating. But for me this has a moral implication and this is why I try and honour the foods that I use: an animal gave it's life(probably not willingly) so that I could live and with this, I always want to honour that creature/food source by doing the best that I can at all times. I run a small restaurant of 25 seats and have less than 1% food waste.

There are a lot of aspects to this business, hope I've been able to help you a bit?!

L

14. rexy

rexy

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I want to re-write my RS again this year for the 2nd time, hope to get from you guys a guide or a practice exam.  It was more than 2years now since I took my 1st exam, and was busy with my regular work.  Looking forward to get an answer from a good angel.

15. chefvanc

chefvanc

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    hi there

I will be doing my exam shortly , i am from Vancouver bc  , i had been studying from the book (on cooking and ita professional cook 1 / 2 / 3 ).i have 10 year experience . 

Does anyone know where i can get a mock exam? 

or any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks .

16. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    There isn't a mock exam... If you want a multiple choice test - best bet is to move to Ontario, last I heard there were 2 really good Wendy's Chef's with their Red Seal.

drirene likes this.
  17. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    No... no mock ups are available, what's the point?

Advice?

-Know your temperatures, critical zones, food safety.  Know your basics of cooking (braising, gratinee, blanching in water and in oil, roasting, in an oven and without an oven, etc) Know your stocks and sauces.  Remember, Canada is a bi-lingual country, you are expected to know most of the names and procedures in French as well.

Put a lot of emphasis on the practical test.. Soon as you start, get your bread item and deserts going, and remember to clean as you go. Put  a strip of masking tape over the oven thermostat so you know if someone else has been messing with the oven that you didn't know about. Put your phone away in the bottom of your toolbox or better yet, leave it at home, this is one 4 hour block that you really have to focus on.

Hope this helps..

P.S.

Most employers know now that Alberta and B.C. have the best testing for the Red Seal.  That reputation isn't earned through tests soley comprised of multiple choice kweshtuns like a lot of other provinces still have....  

18. kenneth chang

kenneth chang

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hi  chef......i am planning to write the exam soon,,,,,, could you please guide me and send me practice question to [email protected] please thanks Kenneth

19. alieklund

alieklund

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    may i have one too?

20. alexrossii

alexrossii

Exp:
    At home cook
    what was the name of the sauce?