Need advice on how to move up from the salad bar

Joined Sep 21, 2018
So I started a new cooking job and I’m brand new in the field. I’ve washed dishes, bussed, and now I’m on the line. I’ve been working only for about a week but I want to move up as fast as I can. I pay close attention to detail, take initiative cleaning when it’s slow and just constantly stay on the move. I have my morning routine on check, and I keep my other line teammates filled with what they need at all times. I also have my station always stocked and ready for an order. Now I know it’s only been a week, but I’m hungry and I want to move up as fast as possible. What are some things I can work on in my current station? I only have 3 salads and a sandwich that I need to remember and make besides my other prep work. Maybe work on plate decoration techniques? Any advice on just anything in general would be great.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
So I started a new cooking job and I’m brand new in the field. I’ve washed dishes, bussed, and now I’m on the line. I’ve been working only for about a week but I want to move up as fast as I can. I pay close attention to detail, take initiative cleaning when it’s slow and just constantly stay on the move. I have my morning routine on check, and I keep my other line teammates filled with what they need at all times. I also have my station always stocked and ready for an order. Now I know it’s only been a week, but I’m hungry and I want to move up as fast as possible. What are some things I can work on in my current station? I only have 3 salads and a sandwich that I need to remember and make besides my other prep work. Maybe work on plate decoration techniques? Any advice on just anything in general would be great.

Work on your patience. As you said, you have only been in this current station for 1 week. Rome was not built in a day. Keep doing what you are doing and sooner or later, your ability and work ethic will be noticed and you will move up.

So, what can you do in the meantime? When you are not busy, clean something. When you are done cleaning something, clean something else. When you are done with cleaning something else, find something else to clean. If the kitchen is slow, make sure your organization (mise en place) is immaculate and efficiently organized. If your chef or sous allows it, perhaps get a head start on tomorrow's prep or the prep for the next shift. Learn the recipes for other dishes so when you move up, you will have a head start. When you are not busy and if your chef or sous agrees, shadow the cooks at the other stations or ask them questions about what they do at their stations and how they do it. In general, work in the present but, keep one eye always looking ahead. You could get moved to another station in the blink of an eye. Cooks quit, call in sick, don't show up for whatever reason all the time. Always be ready.

Work on plate decorations on your own time unless you are specifically told to come up with something new. That's not your job. You never want to be seen doing something that is not your job unless you were specifically told to do it. Initiative is a great thing. However, you must also be aware that what you think is initiative may not always be seen as initiative.

Joined Sep 21, 2018
Work on your patience. As you said, you have only been in this current station for 1 week. Rome was not built in a day. Keep doing what you are doing and sooner or later, your ability and work ethic will be noticed and you will move up.

So, what can you do in the meantime? When you are not busy, clean something. When you are done cleaning something, clean something else. When you are done with cleaning something else, find something else to clean. If the kitchen is slow, make sure your organization (mise en place) is immaculate and efficiently organized. If your chef or sous allows it, perhaps get a head start on tomorrow's prep or the prep for the next shift. Learn the recipes for other dishes so when you move up, you will have a head start. When you are not busy and if your chef or sous agrees, shadow the cooks at the other stations or ask them questions about what they do at their stations and how they do it. In general, work in the present but, keep one eye always looking ahead. You could get moved to another station in the blink of an eye. Cooks quit, call in sick, don't show up for whatever reason all the time. Always be ready.

Work on plate decorations on your own time unless you are specifically told to come up with something new. That's not your job. You never want to be seen doing something that is not your job unless you were specifically told to do it. Initiative is a great thing. However, you must also be aware that what you think is initiative may not always be seen as initiative.

I agree with most if not all what you said. Thank you.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
GROW UP!

This stuff doesn't happen at light speed. It takes a good while of paying dues to move up in kitchen status. Nobody is just going to roll over and give you their job. Get some credentials maybe. THAT TAKES TIME. It's not ... "Oh I work so hard and pay attention and boo-hoo ... I'm not moving up fast enough.".

Just do your job ... and be happy that you have your job.

Joined Sep 21, 2018
GROW UP!

This stuff doesn't happen at light speed. It takes a good while of paying dues to move up in kitchen status. Nobody is just going to roll over and give you their job. Get some credentials maybe. THAT TAKES TIME. It's not ... "Oh I work so hard and pay attention and boo-hoo ... I'm not moving up fast enough.".

Just do your job ... and be happy that you have your job.

Sure thing buddy

Latest posts

Top Bottom