Need a sauce that works for lamb wellington and asparagus at the same time

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I got these two courses as part of a standard multi course meal.

1)  Duck breast, grits, Duck demiglace, (some other garnishes)

2)  Lamb Wellington, Asparagus, (some other garnish)

I don't want to do a demiglace/glace type sauce with the lamb because, well, it would be two of the same kind of sauce.  Any thoughts?

Last edited:

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I can't even begin to tell you what Romesco tastes or feels like, or the texture, or anything!  

Joined Mar 16, 2005
My ideal romesco's a bit thick, flavoured with red pepper, almonds, olive oil and some herbs, thickened with bread.  I think a hollandaise-based sauce or a pistou/pesto or something a bit thinner like a chimichurri-like sauce would work well too.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
That sounds good too.  You guys have me thinking in the right direction now.

Last edited:
Joined May 7, 2012
I was thinking about pesto as well, but that sounds like a lot of green on the plate. Maybe not a big deal depending on the garnish being used.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Well I'll use a golden or brick color gastrique to finish the plate too depending.  So colors can be adjusted.  I do like the Romesco-pesto-hollandaise idea however.

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hollandaise was my thought as well, but I would have added mustard.

The mustard is already in the Wellington, so do a play in that direction, as well as being a flavour easily paired with asparagus.

The fat of the emulsionsauce is also needed in my opinion, as well as the texture.

Edit:

Herbs as well to go with the lamb..

If you go for the salsa romesco, try it out with some leek / scallions in the style of the catalan Calcots.  Could be a good idea for garnish, but the calcots with romesco is a dish on its own.

Last edited:

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Kuan, I wrote an article on Romesco sauce for chef talk.
[article="28563"]Romesco Sauce Making Bell Peppers Shine  [/article]
I don't know that I would use Romesco for this application.  I think any of the many, many variations on Hollandaise would be a good fit as would a variation on Chimmichurri.

Capechef, glad you mentioned Paloise Sauce.  I was thinking a Bearnaise made with mint but I couldn't, for the life of me, remember the  name of that variation!

Last edited:
Joined May 5, 2010

I got these two courses as part of a standard multi course meal.

1)  Duck breast, grits, Duck demiglace, (some other garnishes)

2)  Lamb Wellington, Asparagus, (some other garnish)

I don't want to do a demiglace/glace type sauce with the lamb because, well, it would be two of the same kind of sauce.  Any thoughts?
Would it be possible to change the duck sauce to a fruited one?

Then a Bordelaise would be fine with the Wellington, or perhaps a mushroom ragout.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I am inflexible on the sauce for the duck.  Duck demi on grits?  OMG Ross it's like... like.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
@cape chef  has forgotten more about sauce than I will learn in my lifetime.  I looked up Paloise and it does sound good.  I am leaning toward a Hollandaise variation for sure.  It does make sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom