Need a sauce for curry pie

Joined Jun 17, 2003
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I'm glad to find a community of foodies!

My mother makes these great curry meat pies--pork and chinese mushrooms--but they really need a sauce to make the dish complete. Would love any suggestions. Thanks! :chef:

Joined Dec 4, 2001
How does she make them? It might be possible to modify the recipe to include a "bulit in" sauce.

Jock

Joined Jun 17, 2003
Hi Jock. Unfortunately, I don't have the recipe. She'll send some home with us whenever we visit. I know she sautees the filling with soy sauce and shallots and makes the dough hersefl. It's a light flaky crust--similar to Chinese moon cakes if you've ever had those--but it's a little on the dry side.

Joined Dec 4, 2001
You might want to try adding more liquid to the filling and thicken it with an APF slurry. How much? trial and error, I guess. You may need to increase the seasoning a bit, especially the curry. I find that flour tends to dilute the flavors a bit.

BTW, welcome to cheftalk :)

Jock

Joined Jan 24, 2003
Is it Indian or Chinese or another style of curry sauce that your after.

Joined Jun 17, 2003
Hi Mike. Actually not looking for a curry sauce, but a sauce that will complement a Chinese-style curried meat pie. Thanks!

Joined Jan 24, 2003
Oh I see... Try mixing mango chutney with whisky & heating through with a splash of lime or lemon, I used this for curried samosas and it works well & is easy.
or Tsatsiki ; plain yogurt finely diced cucumber without the seeds,
& lots of fresh mint.

chow

Top Bottom