Nay to Cabernet

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by david jones, Sep 12, 2000.

1. david jones

david jones

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What wines are really food wines? Does a hearty cabernet really compliment a dry-aged filet as much as a pinot noir? Is chardonnay REALLY a good wine for seafood?

I once did a 100 bottle wine list with no merlot but for one from Navarra, Spain, blended with tempranillo. Needless to say, I caught **** for it constantly. I tried to introduce as many merlot drinkers who would listen to the rest of the red wines on the list, same with the chardonnay drinkers. After a while, the guests were drinking Picpoul de Pinet, Gruner Veltliner, Zweigelt and Syrah like they were going out of style!

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    There are many different cabs...they are all not as lush and thick as the name insinuates
    I actually have tried a Mo. cab...it was good but not what you'd think a cab from Cal is like. Hmmmm... I've been drinking alot of organic French wines...pretty darn good.
    Now if I can just write down their names.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    David,
    I am in agreement with you, that givin the oppurtunity people who try other wines other then cabernet or chardonnay, like a ribera del duero or the wines of Rioja (witch are both based on Tempranilla)will be happy they did. we all go through chardonnay shock. i think that the general population is exposed to so much ,merlot, cab and chard that there maybe a little intimidated with wines the do not know.Yes Cabernet has it's place. and I believe when in a great vintage from a fine producer it is the finest of all grapes.But give the lesser known a chance too

4. david jones

david jones

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Do they really make wine in Missouri?

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    You are a funny guy!!!! Try Puchta Norton 97, Hermann, Mo. (Gorgeous town...really beautiful bluffs overlooking a river)
    Port from Mount Pleasant Winery, or Seval
    We have some really good ice wine types...I'll get their names....Yep they were eradicated during prohibition then rejuvenated in the 60-70's. A tax was put on the wine several years ago and the Mo wine council has spent it on research....2-3 years ago I would have told you Mo's wines were for Jewish high holy days....now I've had some that is really pretty good.....and getting better!

6. david jones

david jones

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    you know I'm just funnin', right shroomgirl?

7. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    shroomgirl ain't thuh only one from Missoura [​IMG] you lookin' for grain alchohol?

8. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Yep....I know you are BUT have you ever tried Mo wines....at least recently???

9. david jones

david jones

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Nope. I guess I need to go see my friends' restaurant AND taste out some wines!