National Stuffed Mushroom Day

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Feb 4, 2011.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
  2. trooper

trooper

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Expecting a full summary and reponse from ShroomGirl!!

3. kcz

kcz

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Chopped shallots cooked in sherry and butter until they're soft, mixed with some bread crumbs and whatever herbs are handy.

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    wild shroom duxelle in a crimini cap...yum....makers mark, cream, blk pepper/salt, shallots, minced stems, dried morels or porcini or blk trumpet powdered. 

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook

Hmmm, I don't get it.  Why stuff something with itself?  My friend makes stuffed tomatoes and uses a huge can of tomatoes right in the stuffing.  Isn't there enough mushroom in a mushroom?

6. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I do a Crab or Shrimp Stuffed Mushroom with a Shiitake Cream Sauce................

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The stems are used in many cases to make a duxelle which acts as a strecher to whateve else you use.Why open tomateoes when you have mushroom? You can stuff them with anything.

8. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    smoked walleye stuff morels with a crumb topping drizzled with garlic butter.

9. trooper

trooper

Exp:
    Private Chef
    White Truffle Risotto! WooT!

10. breadmaker man

breadmaker man

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I missed it :( I love stuffed mushrooms and stuffed capsicums.

11. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A very classic is mushrooms stuffed with garlic butter; mix butter, chopped parcely, garlic, s&p. Fill mushroomcaps, put in the oven.

How about making a thick bechamel, add finely cut slice of cooked ham, steamed or cooked bits of leaks, Gruyère on top. In the oven for a few minutes and broiled the last seconds.

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Oh my mom used to top them with a spoonful of bolognese and a some bechamel.  Yummy.

I love crab stuffed mushrooms too but never made them.

13. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    button or criminis are for texture....wild shroom is for flavor...."try it, you'll like it"....

14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I don't doubt that the flavor is good or that I would like it.  I'm just saying, why stuff something with itself?

15. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    wild mushrooms are very different than cultivated...different in flavor, texture etc.

16. deacon

deacon

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    One reason is for cost, if you throw the stems out, you lose money. Another is to help fill. And even one more is, the stem has a slight woody flavor that inhances the stuffing.

I like to use, stems, panko, italian ground sausage, herbs, s&p, asiago, a little chicken broth to help combine everything and finally some Crown Royal.

17. pcieluck

pcieluck

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Any mushroom stuffing suggestions for the lactose intolerant? Something modest... it's for friends not a love interest.

18. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    pcie,how about spinach or greens wilted with garlic, evo and maybe even a touch of anchovy....bread crumbs/evo/parsley/herbage (brain is not quite awake yet but dillweed)....add parm or gouda or chevre or swiss to those that eat cheese and leave the others sans dairy.

19. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Forgot the easiest and tastiest stuffing; Boursin cheese, the "ail et fines herbes" (garlic and herbs) variety. Nothing else, fill caps, let cheese melt in the oven, delicious!

Maybe if you don't find Boursin, you could replace it with a mixture of ricotta, a dash of cream, garlic, fresh herbs (parcely, chives, citronella, chervil...), s&p

20. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    My smoked fish stuffed mushrooms are lactose free. Very simple to make because you can buy the fish smoked if you want.