Nashville chicken!!! Do you know a thing or 2 about them hot chicken.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Narek, Jul 14, 2019 at 8:51 AM.

1. Narek

Narek

Exp:
    I
    Hello to all the chefs around the world. Hope
    You all have been cooking More and fighting less. I have a pizza shop out here in San Fernando valley. I been watching many Nashville hot chicken places open up and they are killing it. I need help! Help me get my chicken game on point and good things can happen.

I know about 10% so there is a lot I don’t know.

Chef David from LA

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Hi... I’m SFV also. Maybe we should go on a Nashville Hot tour. Eating a lot will likely quickly reveal the secrets! If not, it will likely reveal what’s better than the others!

Interestingly, when I worked in the Nashville area I never heard of this chicken. That was long ago. I’d like to better understand the history of it too.

3. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you only know 10% then your knowledge is limited to just knowing there is chicken in the recipe. If you have a pizza place already then you probably want to make it simple so all your employees can do it. I would marinate Chicken tenders or boneless chicken thighs in a Hot sauce and buttermilk mixture. You can either us a seasoned flour mixture to dbl dredge the chicken before frying. You could also use a Krusteaz Western chicken breading. Fry the chicken until the breading is crispy/crunchy. Then use a brush to dab the sauce on the fried chicken. What you want to accomplish is to still have a crunchy breaded chicken with a hot kick. There are a lot of sauce recipes, pick the one you like best. The sauce isn't thick it's more like a red seasoned oily based sauce. If your using Boneless thighs you can also offer a Nashville hot chicken on a biscuit with pickle chips. Whats nice about using Boneless skinless thighs and or Chicken tenders is they will cook more evenly. They can also be made to order faster than using a bone in thigh or breast........Good luck

4. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    I love hot chicken and have been making it for years. I didn’t hear about it until until Season 2 of “Mind of a Chef” came out. Episode 1. But I have been making it regularly ever since.
    I’ll agree with Chef BillyB that bineless chicken thighs are best, but I like them with skin on. Make basic southern fried chicken. (I gave a post in this month’s monthly challenge about it). Biggest pro tip. Make sure your chicken is COMPLETELY DRY before the breading process. It will make sure your crust doesn’t fall off.
    After it is fried put 1/3 cup of the hot oil into a bowl. Add 5-6 tablespoons cayenne pepper, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 tablespoons paprika, one tablespoon granulated onion, and one tablespoon granulated garlic. Whisk and dip chicken on both sides.
    Serve with white bread and pickles.

You can add or subtract more cayenne to adjust heat, but I found with 1/3 cup oil 5-6 is about right.