Nancy Silverton's Books

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Iza,

Maybe KyleW will share some of his freeze-dried 14-day starter with you...

Just a thought, something to ponder over

AZZANGEL.gif

Joined Aug 14, 2000
This stuff grows like weeds! I'd love to find a vacation home for Ernest. Would there be problems with Canadian Customs/Agriculture? If you can figure it out, I'm happy to oblige :)

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Oh yeah I can see the face of the custom agent opening Kyle's package.

:eek:
eek2.gif
scared.gif

I wonder if they would let it through?

Thanks for the thought Kyle. I'll make my own Ernest one day. :)

I saw Artisan Breads today. What a great book. I love the idea of knowing if the dough has risen enough by it's texture. So many different kind of bread. They all look so good. Makes you want to try all the recipes!

In the book there is a recipe for acme bread. What does acme mean?

Joined Feb 21, 2001
Acme refers to the Acme Bread Company in Berkeley. That is a very nice baguette btw.
Mzzzz. Silverton is absolutely right about the wooden bench. I hate working on stainless steel. Another book that's hard to get through it's thicket of verbiage is Bread Alone. Someone should take that editor's cut and paste function away. I think I'm getting La Brea Pastries confused with Village Baker's Wife. That's a good book.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Thanks TBH. I am confused about Acme because as a kid I used to see that name on the road runner show. The coyote was always getting stuff from Acme co.

How did you know about the baguette it's not even in the oven! ;)

Joined Feb 21, 2001
Actually I meant the baguette in the book, Artisan Baking, loosely referred to as the Acme baguette. Think I just saw another post of yours about it. Best way to keep bread is to eat it fast, or put it in a paper bag. Plastic encourages staling. Bakery plastic bags (some) have minute holes in them so they breath. Or you can put it cut side down on a clean wooden surface.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Iza,

Steve Sullivan is the owner/baker at Acme.

I've done his recipes in Baking with Julia. They require a little practice but the bread is really delicious.

BTW, love your previous post about Canadian Customs. Too funny!

:D

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
I know TBH I was just kidding. Thanks for the tip on bread keeping. The bread spend a good night wrapped in teatowels. Guess the idea is to let it breathe. Anyway she won't last long. I fear this is her last night.

I saw his recipes In Baking With Julia Kimmie. Been meaning to try one but I always forget to keep a little ball of dough. Think I need to put a sign in my kitchen.

I was just curious about the word ACME because I see it on so many thing thought it had some special meaning.

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Iza ]

Joined May 11, 2001
I just bought Pastries from La Bread a couple of weeks ago. I didn't make anything yet because all the recipes call for extra-large eggs. I dunno how much of a difference it would make but I thought I'd wait until I used up my large eggs and bought some extra large. The recipes look enticing enough to me... nice homey recipes that look perfect to bring into the office or enjoy at home on a daily basis. I'll report back when I make something which won't be until I get back from Vancouver.

P.S. I almost forgot. There's a ginger scone recipe in their Iza, but probably not better than yours.

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: Risa ]

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Risa,

extra large egg = 2.25 oz

large egg = 2 oz or 55 to 60 metric grams. It contains barely three tablespoons of white and barely one tablespoon of yolk.

In other words, one measuring cup contains:
  • 5 large eggs
  • 4 extra large (jumbo) eggs
  • 6 medium-size eggs
  • 7 small eggs
That's probably the best info I've found so far, from Madeleine Kamman.

:rolleyes:

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
I recently received that book Risa. What a coincidence.

I saw the scone recipe and decided against trying it. Why? It may sound weird but here’s why. The La Brea's recipe calls for lots of cream, eggs and butter. My recipe only has 4 tablespoons butter no egg no cream. If I try the La Brea’s scone and like it I would be disappointed because I couldn’t eat it too often because of the calories and fat. Then The Best Recipe scones would look pale in comparison and I would not get as much pleasure when I eat them.

Joined May 11, 2001
Thanks Kimmie. I was looking around for conversions and couldn't find any, I was just going to throw in an extra egg and cross my fingers.

I think I'll try a recipe tonight or tomorrow.

Joined Dec 30, 1999
Iza,

Look web page for reviews on Nancy Silverton's books.

Type in "Nancy Silverton" and then click on which book you'd like to find reviews on. Each book has reviews. Many of the people who've reviewed the books have tried the recipes and can give you insight. I myself have made her croissants and they are wonderful, the instructions very clear and easy to follow.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Thanks Cchiu I don't buy a book before checking the reviews on amazon.

I do have her pastry bookt5r. I haven't tried a recipe at this point but there are quite a few little white papers tucked between the pages.

Croissants hmmmm it does sound good....

Joined Jun 20, 2006
It has spoiled me for all others.

Her bakery is wondeful, but her restaurant, although charming for its Hollywood nostagic architecture, left me cold on both times I visited.

Top Bottom