Nancy Silverton's Books

Discussion in 'Cookbook Reviews' started by isa, Jul 18, 2001.

1. isa

isa

We've talked a lot about her bread book but what about her pastry book? How are the recipes? Is it a good book?

Kimmie do you own it also?

Thanks!

2. kimmie

kimmie

Iza,

No, I didn't purchase it yet. But I read it regularly at the book store. I do that quite often before I buy. I'm also a collector so in all likelihood, I will go for it since I have the first one.

It appears to be a very good book.

P.S.: I am even more maniacal about trilogies!

:eek:

3. isa

isa

Thanks Kimmie. I've never been able to find it at the bookstore. Can't wait to get her bread book.

You lost me with the trilogies, what about them?

4. kimmie

kimmie

Iza,

Definition of trilogy
    • set of 3 related works: a group or series of three related works, especially of literature or music
    • set of three: a set of three related things
    I thought you shopped at Indigo for books?

:confused:

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

5. isa

isa

I know what a trilogy is. What I didn't get is what was the reference you were making about trilogy.

I love Indigo but unfortunately it's a bit hard for me to get there. Parking downtown can be ****. Luckily there is Indigo online.

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Iza ]

6. kimmie

kimmie

Oh yes, parking is hellish downtown...

About the trilogy, I meant in cases where an author has written three cookbooks, I'm in for all three.

In other words, Nancy S. has a second book out; I'm interested because I really liked her first one, and it's a guarantee that I will purchase her third, if she ever publishes it.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

:rolleyes:

7. isa

isa

Ah now I get it. Thanks Kimmie.

It's nice to have the complete work of an author. You might have a hard time finding her pre La Brea books though.

8. kimmie

kimmie

"her pre La Brea books"??

Do you mean books she wrote before La Brea, Iza?

:confused:

9. w.debord

w.debord

I have her pastry book. I haven't worked out of it yet....stalled (nothing really caught my eye). But I'd also be very interested in any opinions/suggestions anyone else has about her recipes from this book.

10. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I don't have her pastry book but I do have her bread book. Kimmie is going to kill me for this but...

She is kind of shrill. "Do it exactly this way or you will fail!" She is for ever saying things like "You can mix the dough in a bowl but I prefer to work on a wooden surface." I read a fair amount of condescension into her writings. The other thing I find annoying about her book is that her Country White Bread recipe, for example, takes 6 pages. It is interspersed with all kinds of extraneous information. You have to really hunt for the recipe steps. The information is all good but why blend it into the rcipe. In Crust & Crumb, Peter Reinhart gives you all of the same good info but he does it before the recipe/formula. Whether or not her breads are worth the aggravation remains to be seen. Her first two loaves are retarding in my fridge as I write.

I'm not sure if my rant applies to her pastry book, but if i were a betting man...

11. kimmie

kimmie

Kyle:

[​IMG]

12. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I will adjust my remarks accordingly when Ernest's first off spring come out of the oven later tonight :)

13. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    OneSock,
    My comments were in no way meant to be personal comment on Chef Silverton. If I offened, I'm sorry. I understand that she is one of the preeminent bakers of our time. I was, and am, speaking as a neophyte bread baker.
    Kyle

14. isa

isa

Yes Kimmie she did. She wrote Desserts, don't know when though and she wrote a book with her husband The Food of Campanile in 1997. Both are out of print.

P.S. my bread book shipped out today. Can't wait to get it.

15. kimmie

kimmie

I'm happy for you Iza. I would be surprised if you didn't like it! :)

Here's the list of books published:

Desserts (out of print) --I'm too lazy tonight to check out the year, you will find the information on www.amazon.com

The Food of Campanile
    by Mark Peel, Nancy Silverton (Contributor), Ian Smith (out of print)--Didn't purchase but copied a few recipes from it, especially stocks.

Mark Peel & Nancy Silverton at Home : Two Chefs Cook for Family & Friends
    by Mark Peel, Nancy Silverton, Edon Waycott (out of print)

The next one will be out in September:

Williams-Sonoma; The Best of Taste
    by Deborah Madison, Jean-Goerges Vongerichten, Chuck Williams, Nancy Silverton, Joyce Goldstein, Patricia Wells, Nick Malgieri, Sara Deseran, Andy Harris

:D

16. kimmie

kimmie

Kyle,

I hope everything goes well with Ernest. He gave you enough grief!

Be sure to post your results and describe the taste the best you can. All will be forgiven then!

Did you freeze dry some of the starter?

OneSockChef,

You met Nancy Silverton? Is that true? Tell me more please, I think she's so good and I love her bread recipes.

[​IMG]

17. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
  18. kimmie

kimmie

OneSockChef,

I find it quite thrilling and I must admit it makes me a bit envious...

19. isa

isa

I really liked her on Baking With Julia. She was so soft and calm. Seems like such a nice person.

I got my book this morning! I know the Canada Post truck comes around 10 AM, kept looking out of the window wishing it to appear, and he did. Couldn't wait to open the box. Started leafing through the book. Read part of it this afternoon. I am sorry to say I am a bit disappointed that all the recipes are based on the starter method. Guess I was expecting some yeast based recipes. I am not sure I am ready to embark on the 14 days raisin based starter.

20. kimmie

kimmie

Actually, she finds that she can get more friction on a wood table or board than on marble, Formica or stainless steel, and that it makes it easier to work with the dough.