Name /personalize your range?

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by Transglutaminase, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    The new range arrived today (Fulgor induction 30")..spent a while putting in a SS backsplash & leveling the unit.
    Put felt pads on the legs..and sprayed lots of "Pledge" on the hardwood floor..easier sliding.
    It would NOT slide back to within ~1.5' of the wall..it seems that the factory 50A plug has "ears" on it.
    I trimmed off the upper "ear" & it fit in well after the trim! ;-)
    Using it is a bit of a learning curve, even for the burner knobs!
    Boils water very quickly..all I've done so far..
    Cooked off the factory oven grease (Kaff-kaff!! @450 for an hour ..might need another go)
    Will be installing the (free? BS!) Fulgor range hood tomorrow (pic shows the old Sears/Kenmore hood).
    Will give an update as to the performance, etc. in coming days.
    Back to the topic, ..
    Fulgor will make/ send a free personalized front name plate..I thought of some , err,. names that the GF did not agree with! ;-)
    http://sofia.fulgor-milano.com/
    Any unique opinions? Italian or ???

TIA! :)

range backsplash old hood.jpg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  2. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    After a couple of days use, I quite like the range, so far.
    Ikea teflon fry pans take a bit to heat up..but that's OK by me - esp for a teflon fry pan.
    Henckels pots heat up fairly fast/well.
    Cast iron (on a teflon protective sheet) heats up unbelievably fast..smoking in ~ a minute.
    Baking cookies today & tried slightly melting butter in the "non-magnetic" Kitchen Aid mixer bowl,..it actually worked!
    Set burner knob to the melt setting, on a medium size burner & it recognized it as being "induction compatible"! Happy!
    I'd never plop that bowl on an electric coil or gas range.
    Seasoned the oven by convection roasting a couple of low-buck Italian sausages (what else does one season an Italian oven with? ) ;-)
    The 3 oven racks are SS, but the ends bent around (not spot welded), one rack being a bearing slide-out thing.
    Not used to the shiny-ish glass top & all the SS.. bit of a PITA to keep spotless.
    Miss the grandparent's old white porcelain gas range..not much showed on it..other than spilled borscht!
    Name tag?..GF suggested both of our names (how boring!)..not going to happen...I'll have to come up with an Italian quote.
    Fulgor range & hood.jpg

3. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    Utterly impressed with it!
    No longer going to do cast iron blackened chicken outside, cast iron pan gets white hot within 2 minutes (teflon sheet underneath).
    Was making cinnamon buns today, had extra in aluminum foil pans..set them on top of the range, after proofing (another nice setting).
    Guess what? As a test ...turned on a burner or 2.. range recognized the disposable aluminum pans as "metal" and started heating up!
    A hot crackle or 2 with in 2 seconds! Obviously shut it off..but..wow!
    No, I don't work for the company..not a shill..
    Happy, Happy, happy!! Hope it lasts!

4. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Whenever I look for ranges I always opt for the least or no electronic controls. I've found them to be always a problem and expensive to fix- if they can be fixed at all. I recently had to junk my home range because the control board went bad and the oven wouldn't work. A replacement board couldn't be had after only 15 years. What you have is the epitome of what I would never buy. You couldn't get something with more electronics. Oh, I agree with you that it's amazing. It's just that I wouldn't be able to sleep at night thinking about what's going to crap out and how much it's going to cost to fix.

5. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    I tend to agree with you - as to the less complicated, the better.
    Unfortunately it's almost impossible to purchase a simple reliable home range lately.
    I believe there's a company in California that is/was refurbishing old 50's gas ranges, not sure if they're still around.
    Most of the latest ranges that I've looked at have terrible engineering..plastic touch controls/ touch panels on the top surfaces, facing up?
    Like nothing is ever going to fall on it?
    Our old GE range lasted over 25 years, replacing parts until they were obsoleted.
    The latest $900 GE lasted almost 6 years - horrible engineering! Cheap flexible thin top, plastic controls, etc.
    Main board was directly behind the control panel, not sealed, so the whole thing/CPU, etc. was covered in grease/cooking stuff.
    Cleaned it a couple times & it worked for a bit, but finally gave up on it.
    BTW, most online reviews, esp. by the manufacturers/retailers are shills lately.
    Tried to do a bad review on the last range, nope, "bad reviews are not permitted/won't be posted"! Huh? Same as our cr*p B*sch dishwasher.
    Between the bad engineering & the RoHS directive, not many products containing PCBs are going to last more than 8 years now..unless it's military, medical or aerospace.
    Good discussion here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/lead-free-solder-studies-by-nasa/
    The ECU on our vehicle crapped out, dealer wanted ~$1,200 for replacement, I removed the lead free solder/replaced with leaded solder & car works just fine now!
    Most failures on induction heaters are the MOSFETs or caps, which I'm capable of swapping out.
    Just praying the main board is well sealed/protected.

.. /end techno blabber :emoji_robot:

6. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hey, good for you! Nice to see other people here with skills besides cooking. Never know when it can save your ass.
    I've been a critic of consumer kitchen equipment for ages. I replaced that electric range I spoke of above with a gas GE. I picked the one I did because it had a nice cast iron grate over the whole top and looked to have decent burners. I also didn't want to spend more than $900. What I got was burners that are almost useless. Every one is a different size, with the largest taking almost a half hour to bring a gallon of water to a rolling boil. The next largest barely maintains a rolling boil if I move the pot over to it. I'm beginning to think that this generation just doesn't cook anymore and that's why they can get away with making this junk. I also think that manufacturers are terrified of lawsuits from clueless people who shuldn't have something as dangerous as a range in their house. Or even scissors.

7. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    Latest update..
    New dirt cheap $67 Amazon 12L stock pot arrived today (yes, chinese..sigh.., not paying $400-600 for a tremclad/whatever unit)
    Seems good! Riveted handles, 18/10 SS, 3 ply..nice & shiny..probably won't last ..with my abuse..
    10" diameter bottom
    Washed, dried..added 4 Liters cold water & let the temp stabilize.
    Start was 10.8C (51.44F) plopped on the big burner, on max.
    7.5 minutes to a full boil..not sure if that's the norm..
    ..time to abuse it (and myself) with a plethora of deep frying! :)
    PS: heard that some induction tops have a "boiling ring"..not the case here.. even over all.
    boiling 4l @ 7.5 mins .jpg

Attached Files:

8. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
  9. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    Unfortunately, the shipping to Kanada from that site is around $54, plus customs, excise fees & taxes.
    Most things purchased here are ~2x of that in the US.
    Gas here today in Vancouver is now ~$1.60 a liter.
    Yes, we do take road trip/shopping trips to the US!

10. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    OK. I didn't realize you were in Canada. Surely there must be restaurant supply places there.

11. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    Halb: Yes, Russell downtown Vancouver and a very close local, mostly Asian supplier (Attinson), buy from both, very good stuff ..but induction compatible is rare.

With the GF's help..decided on the nameplate. ...
    English translation; "Eat Well | Live Well"
    nameplate ordered.JPG

...back to the kitchen! ..Ukrainian tonite..

12. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I did do a bit of Googling before I posted for restaurant suppliers in and around Vancouver. What I found were really piss poor compared to the States and I did find that what you say is true. Seems like nobody has heard of induction up there.

13. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    Nameplate arrived today..via courier from Italy.
    Probably paid an extra $200 for that alone!
    The range's performance will now be improved ..by at least 10X! ;)
    Fulgor nameplate sm.jpg