Name 3 foods that that used to be cheap, but now aren't.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I'd add brisket to the other beef bits that used to be cheap. And seems like it has been at least a year since I saw that chicken wings cost more per pound than breasts. That's crazy!

mjb.

Joined Nov 28, 2014
Ox tails, beef cheek meat, and caviar. During the 1800's, caviar was so cheap that it was offered as bar snacks in American saloons.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Smoked eel, spare ribs, herring.
Well, the spare ribs for sure, herring and eel wasn't cheap cheap, but definitely not the stupid prices they are now (esp the smoked eel)

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Incidentally, I was at a demonstration class run by Jacques Pépin and I asked him about this. I noted that a lot of the things that cookbook writers a decade or so ago used to say were super-cheap are now very expensive. He agreed... and then said, "There are still a few bargains, actually. I doubt most of you are going to want to hear this, though. Pork kidneys are almost as good as lamb, and brains are still very cheap."

I love that man.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Some years back there was a Chinese restaurant down towards the south end of the valley that had a dish I really like. It was stir fried pork kidneys with cabbage and scallions in a light but spicy sauce. Sadly, it changed ownership and the menu went more main stream Chinese American. Oh well.

mjb.

ps: Hey, wait a minute - I know how to cook, I can probably make a decent rendition of the dish at home, after doing a bit of research.

Top Bottom