Nakiri or Usuba better for me?

Joined Oct 9, 2008
My chef has been complaining that our lettuce has been turning brown and suspects that it's because of my knife. i use a 10inch kiritsuke gyoto by shun the blue steel one. it is pretty heavy which could be the cause but i don't think it is. im looking to get a nakiri or usuba for cutting vegetables at work and was wondering which one would be best for me. i read that usuba's are single bevel and nakiri's are double bevel which is the only difference and im not a pro nor have used a single bevel knife before. 

i was also wondering why these knives are so short i see them at like 5-6inches usually.

any recommendations on the knife as well? im not a huge fan of shun i think they are over priced only reason i got it was because the other knives i was looking at were more expensive or shorter in length then my previous knife. im looking for a comfortable wooden handle don't know much about metal types as well besides that some rust easily and need to be oiled. 
Missed this one. A couple of points.

1. A nakiri and an usuba are completely different. They are shaped, profiled, sharpened, and used differently.

2. An usuba should be about 200mm at least; serious pros use 225 or more. That's about 7 3/4 inches minimum. A nakiri is often very small.

3. I would not recommend an usuba to anyone who isn't planning a major kitchen lifestyle change. The thing doesn't play nice with others, and you'll need about 2-3 months of steady work to gain modest proficiency.

4. I would not recommend a nakiri to anyone ever, except if you're buying it for $20 in a Japanese hardware store. I know of nothing to recommend this knife design.

Top Bottom