Nacho cheese sauce

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Jun 10, 2012.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I really like the Tostido's nacho cheese sauce in a jar.  I realize this is not real cheese, just a processed cheese food product.  But I do like it.  How can I make a nacho cheese sauce that will be better?

2. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Rico's brand nacho cheese sauce is really tasty. I have never tried t make my own.

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    If you like it use it as a base then add more real cheese if you like

4. chefhow

chefhow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cheezwiz and Rotel.

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Thats what I use home only now I use Velveeta Mexican in with it/.  Or for a great variation Velveeta mild mexican and Walmart Pineapple/chippolte Salsa  out of sight flavor and at least it has some cheese.

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Wait, are you all telling me that there is no way to make a nacho cheese from home without using convenience food?  There has to be someone out there who can think of a way to make a mexican style cheese sauce.

7. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    kk,

while it may not be exactly what you are looking for, google or search 'queso fundido'. there are many versions...some with chorizo, sausage, mushrooms,green chilies tomatoes etc. etc etc. i prefer the no meat version made with white cheddar, roasted poblanos or chipotles...sometimes both.....yes, it is easy to make if you have the right melting cheeses.....mozzarella, monterey jack(with peppers), chipotle cheese, asadero, manchego, colby all work well.

joey

8. chefhow

chefhow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Make fondue with Cheddar Cheese and add Pico de Gallo...

9. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Sure there are ways but chances are people wont like it because they are so used to the fake stuff.

10. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    sorry chefed, but that can't really be what you think is it?...really really?  that to me is just one sad sorry excuse not to do something better or right or different...no offense meant here, just unbelievability.

joey

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  11. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.   Asking actually, but you do get the point. I'm curious about what is so bad about Velveeta

I had too much time on my hands one(1) day last winter between watching 'da  [​IMG]  and the [​IMG]. I had two(2) thrill-seeking kids (1 HS and 1 JrHi) to entertain who wanted to cook. They are very good for kids, and very responsible. We looked up Velveeta and tried to make some up. It's not so difficult. What we came up with was very acceptable. 

Equal amounts of shredded Colby and Cheddar melted down in a make-shift dbl-boiler, like with chocolate. A cup or so of heavy cream with a teaspoon of corn starch whisked in until smooth. We used the Gatorade bottle method and shook the bajeebies out of it. It thickened up a little bit, which was a very nice thing that we liked but wasn't expecting. When the cheese was melted to our satisfaction we slowly poured in the cream, whisking thoroughly as we poured until we thought it was the proper creaminess. We poured the cheese mix into a non-stick muffin pan and let it cool. It came out nice. We made about five(5) different batches with different flavor profiles. All of everything was pleasantly edible. 

12. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The Mexican melting cheese I see in all the Mexican markets and in regular grocery stores here is Chihuahua cheese. It often says "Mexican Melting Cheese" on the package. There are several domestic (U.S.) producers. It's a white cheese that comes in small rounds, is quite mild and melts to a gooey smoothness. I'm not sure if it's what you are after. Chicago is very Mexican and you can get it any grocery store here. I'm not sure how widely available it is in the rest of the country.

13. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Give you an example .I work part time in a ver affluent country club. Its mostly Jewish clientel. We use tons of chopped liver. They used to buy Blueridge Brand 5 pound tubs out of New York. The stuff is really vile and overly sweet. We startd to make our own with Real chicken liver real onion real eggs and spices. The membership liked the old one because they were use to the Americanized sweet taste. Same thing with the Matzoh Balls they liked the processed frozen, because no matter where they went, all of them tasted the same cause evryone used the same frozen ones and this is what they were used to.  We continued to make our own liver and by adding sugar they liked it.  This same scenerio can be applied to many items.

14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    May try something like this.  I would've thought it needed a roux perhaps, like the cheese sauce I make for mac n cheese. 

15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I get your point, but we're talking about me here.  This nacho cheese is for me.  And I live in NY, and people around here are serious about their food.  You've never seen so many "farmers" in a city before.  Everyone is a natural lifestyle expert and makes food from scratch.  Nobody I know (except for me) even touches the processed nacho sauce.  And besides, this nacho cheese sauce is for me, I don't share my cheese willingly.

It is true what you say though, I grew up on instant mashed and although I can truly enjoy a good hearty mashed potatoes when someone else makes it I stick to the boxed stuff at home.

16. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Please I lived in New York for over 45 years. Half the population go to restaurants and don't know what they are eating. The other half are down here in Florida and they don't know either but they are all Gurus and Mavens.

17. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Please yourself.  I don't interact with the half of the population that you refer to.  My circle of peeps must be different than yours.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  18. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I am sure  they are.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  19. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Well, do you want the sauce to work hot, cold, room temp? Because I don't think you can have all three.

For processed goo, I have a soft spot for the Frito Lay Jalapeno Cheddar. Great at room temp, but I don't like it nearly as well once it's been refrigerated. Which holds true of all of them really. Nothing's that good cold from the fridge for this purpose.

For hot, I've had the Velveeta concoctions, and they always seem watered down. I've liked a Mornay style sauce hot, but it too is pretty hard on the chips with its high liquid content. By Mornay, I mean a bechamel with some Goya Sofrito base and a pepper jack cheese.

If I don't have any of the Jalapeno Cheddar on hand (because my 12 year old inhales it) I'll grate cheese onto chips and microwave. Tough to get just the right amount of melt and not overcooked cheese at some points, but a good compromise.

I love nachos, even the bad ones are good.

20. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Must be served hot.  I'm thinking something in the style of an artichoke dip minus the artichokes plus the mexican pizazz.