myzithra cheese

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phatch, May 16, 2004.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I love pasta with garlic, brown butter and myzithra. It just doesn't use much cheese so I have a big hunk left over. It's good on salad too, yet again, it only takes a little.

So even though I bought only a small chunk, I have plenty left. Other ideas for using this up?

Phil

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Phil,

If you have the opportunity, pick up "The Glorious Foods of Greece" by Diane Kochilas. It has some excellent history on Myzthra cheese and some nice recipes Incorporated the cheese.In general I find this book a great tool when learning about Greek cuisine.

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've read it. The local library has it, but its' been some years now. I'll have to look it up again.

Just now it seems that it might work in a garlicky potato gratin perhaps. Just a variant starch instead of the pasta.

thanks for reminding me of DK's book,

Phil

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I'm a little confused. Isn't mizithra a soft, fresh cheese like ricotta? Aglaia Kremezi calls for it in sweet tarts and tartlets in The Foods of the Greek Islands.

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Your right Suzanne, in most of Greece Myzithra refers to a whet cheese, but in the Cyclades it is a fresh curd cheese made with whole milk, bot are soft like you said earlier.

6. travelchick

travelchick

Now I'm confused too, all the stuff I've seen has been rather hard, like a parm. ???