My wok is rusting like crazy!?!

Joined Mar 18, 2013
Yesterday I bought at Goodwill this vok. I washed it in the dishwasher (it looked like dishwasher safe). But it went out of the dishwasher with tons of small rusty spots. I washed it again, with the "Bar Keepers Friend" - it was ok. While I was sauteing some onions and peppers, to test it, it started smelling on rust?!? I throw away the food and left the vok in the sink. An hour later it was so rusty again. Really rusty!
I washed it and left if next to the sink. Now it's even worse.
There is no brand name on the bottom but it looks very well made.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

Joined Mar 18, 2013
Oohhh!!!! So it IS like CI?!? That came to my mind at one moment but I have another wok and I never seasoned it, and always washing with soup. Not in a dishwasher because of the wooden handlebar, but it was ok. But, as I think now it's not carbon steel, like this one. :oops:

And, I'm assuming like CI, after cooking quick wash with water (maybe with some salt), dry it on stove top and lightly season again?

Thanks phatch :D

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Oohhh!!!! So it IS like CI?!? That came to my mind at one moment but I have another wok and I never seasoned it, and always washing with soup. Not in a dishwasher because of the wooden handlebar, but it was ok. But, as I think now it's not carbon steel, like this one. :oops:

And, I'm assuming like CI, after cooking quick wash with water (maybe with some salt), dry it on stove top and lightly season again?

Thanks phatch :D
Yes treat it like cast. That ring you got on your counter was probably because it was still wet when it was sitting there.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
It’s steel. In addition to seasoning, as previously recommended, hand wash and immediately dry. Dry thoroughly... up to and including warming on hob to ensure that it’s dry. Store in dry place where it won’t get wet.

Nice pot!

Joined Mar 18, 2013
It’s steel. In addition to seasoning, as previously recommended, hand wash and immediately dry. Dry thoroughly... up to and including warming on hob to ensure that it’s dry. Store in dry place where it won’t get wet.

Nice pot!
After I wash it and heat-dry it, does it need additional thin coat of oil, like CI?

Joined Mar 18, 2013
I washed it again, with Bar Keepers Friend, heavy, to remove all that rust. Than heated to the Max to dry it out and to follow the YouTube above. Worked well. As a matter of fact, some black spots burned out, disappeared...
Oiled thoroughly with seeds oil... Pretty much as CI.

I checked this morning, looks gorgeous! :emoji_grinning:

By the way, found the name of the brand: INFUSE

Edit: It's actually Infuse 4-piece Carbon steel Wok by Tabletops Unlimited

Attachments

Last edited:
Joined Jan 31, 2012
After lightly coating with oil, I turn mine upside down
on the gas stove burner over very low heat for 3 or 4 minutes
til the oil has dried and slightly carmelized. Seems to season
it pretty well this way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom