My Thyme died

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, May 15, 2002.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I've been leaving my potted herbs indoors with a grow light for the coupla months or so. Everything sprouted fine, except for the lemon thyme which sprouted, grew for a week, then died :( :(

Anyway, tomorrow, the 15th of May, is the average last frost date. They're finally going out where they belong. Back to the herbs... the thyme is in a 1.5 foot diameter shallow pot planted around chives. I wonder if this might be the problem. It's too late to start more, this year I'll go without.

My tomatoes did TOO well indoors this year, some of them had fruit already which had to be plucked. Must be the air or something.

Kuan

2. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    kuan, It sounds like your thyme may have 'dampened off'; did the sprouts look mushy right at the base where they meet the dirt?

You can order lemon thyme plants from www.wellsweep.com
    They ship everything.

I think I'm going to have to garden vicariously through everyone else's garden this summer; with the fabled restaurant kicking into high gear right now - planting time for us in NJ - I have no time at all to spare. Whenever I pull into my driveway, I sort of glance over to the left where my garden plot is, and cringe. Sigh.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Kuan,

No way is it to late to plant thyme....

get out there and get as many variaties as you can fit!!!!Not only is thyme the foundation herb of culinary arts, it's beautiful and make supurb ground cover (creeping variaties)

Lots of sun, organic rich soil, and good drainage.
    Should be a cake walk

4. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Gonna try again... :) :)

Kuan

5. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Kuan,

It certainly is not too late (if you start with plants)! You can plant thyme anytime untill fall. It will take root and come back next year when it's ready so you'll never have to plant it again!

Stop by your local nursery or greenhouse. They should have herb plants for anywhere from $0.97 - $2.50. Stick them in the ground and watch them flourish and you'll have an instant garden!

6. isa

isa

Thyme! If I didn't like it so much I would give up on it.

Yes buy the plants not the seeds, and pray it will stay alive!

7. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I guess I could spare a coupla bucks :) I messed up on the average last frost date for Minneapolis. It's May 21, so I'll have to wait until then to put the plants outside.

In the meantime, Californians are enjoying fresh berries off the vine. :( :(

Kuan

8. monkeymay

monkeymay

Yes we are - and they're really good too!:D

9. the saucy cajun

the saucy cajun

Actually, here in Louisiana our strawberries are almost gone, but I've picked about 15 tomatoes already! But don't be jealous! Tomato flowers must have temps. around 70 degrees to polinate. When ya'll are eating your's, mine will be gone till the fall.(We have summer nights in the 80's) But about the thyme. I NEVER plant seeds for thyme or rosemary. Takes way too long to get a mature plant. Buy the plant and put it in a WELL DRAINED sunny spot.(Think Mediteranean, almost sandy) Also, if you have a plant instead of seedlings, harden it off, plant it and don't worry too much about the frost date. My thyme grows here in the winter, not the summer. But last winter we got down to 20 and it thrived.
    The Saucy Cajun
    Oh yea, try lemon thyme jelly made with apple juice & pectin. Fabulous!