My stock is a solid at 37 deg, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by abefroman, Nov 4, 2013.

1. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My stock is a solid at 37 deg, is this normal?  Its like a jello.

Should I be adding more water to it?

The latest stock was 2 ham hocks, and 1 smoked turkey leg boiled for 4 hours in about a gallon and half of water, then reduced to about 3 quarts, after leaving it in the fridge over night, it turned to a solid in the morning.

2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Like Jello?  Sounds to me that the stock turned out perfect!  That gelatin is exactly what you want.

mjb.

abefroman and soul vole like this.
  3. soul vole

soul vole

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yeah, there's a word for stock that gels in the fridge: "Success." /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

abefroman likes this.
  4. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Cool!

Is that based on how long it cooks for + the water content + amount of collegen in the meat?

5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yes, the amount of gelatin is related to the extraction of the good stuff out of the bones, mostly, and the pork skin, not so much the meat.  Low and slow is the way to go.

mjb.

6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    It's not normal. It's GREAT!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif  Only happens to me with my better stocks.

abefroman likes this.
  7. soul vole

soul vole

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm no expert on this, just a fellow student of the art, sharing notes and experience.

How long it cooks for, the water content, the amount of collagen -- all of the above. Collagen converts to gelatin best around 180° or somewhere around there, basically a very low simmer. And it does take time, it doesn't happen instantly.

Stocks are based more on bone than meat (as opposed to broths), and so they get gelatin from the collagen in bones and marrow but also especially from cartilage, which is loaded with it. So joints are good. Skin also has a lot of collagen. When I'm making chicken stock I often throw skin, necks, and feet in with the bones in order to maximize gelatin, because they're all great sources of collagen.

Gelatin is just one factor in stock-making, and it sounds like on that count you're doing great!

abefroman likes this.