My Shun Disappointment - Anyone else see this

Joined Dec 27, 2015
After about 90 days of use I noticed my 7" Shun Classic Vegetable Cleaver had a significant bend.  I smack it down on garlic pretty firmly to crush it, so the bend was not shocking.  But what does surprise me is the crease developing.  See attached photo.  

I am sending it to Shun with a warranty claim and certainly hope they make it right.  Hoping this knife is a defect, but my first Shun experience is not wonderful so far.  Or are my expectations not realistic?  

Joined Apr 25, 2014
If they're selling it as a cleaver, it should be able to smash garlic and ginger.  FWIW you can do a lot better for the money.  Like the knife seen most often on Iron Chef runs $230 on rakuten.  Shun cleaver was never on Iron Chef that I know of.

Joined Dec 27, 2015
Thanks millionsknives! Agreed on bang for buck. I wish I had bought a different knife. I recently got a Miyabi Kaizen and I am very happy with it.

Joined Dec 27, 2015
Benuser,

I understand what you mean. Yes. I am certain the handle was off the board. I appreciate the heads-up in regards to Shun asking!

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Some of the "tehniques" seen on TV like smashing garlic and ginger with the cleaver blade seem to be like TV drama by folks who don't mind replacing knives often. I once asked Yan about it; he basically confirmed. Crushing garlic under the blade is a different story. But crushing ginger????

Last edited:
Joined Dec 27, 2015
Brianshaw,

Thanks!  Totally agree.  Yan doesn't have to worry about replacing blades, but I do :)  There are other equally effective ways to accomplish the same thing.  That said, even if I were smashing ginger like Yan, I might expect the blade to bend some near the handle, but not crease unless I was constantly bending it back and forth like a paper clip.  

Joined Dec 18, 2010
That is a weird failure. Is it only lamination failure, or a crack through to the core metal?

Joined Dec 27, 2015
It isn't deep at all, but it is definitely in the metal. If you run your fingnail over it, it will catch, but not much deeper than that. Hope I'm explaining that well. My bet is Shun will replace it. While this is likely my only Shun purchase, if they don't correct it I'm 100% there will be no more Shuns for me.

Joined Mar 19, 2009
That's a nasty metal wound, but you do not crash garlic or ginger with a smash of the blade. You place the blade gently over the product and with your left hand you smash the blade.

Joined Dec 27, 2015
Thanks Ordo!  I hear you.  I think I may not have explained myself well in my original post.  I smack the blade on the garlic to loosen it from the skin.  I would not say it is that much force.  Not as much as what BrianShaw refers to in regards to TV personalities.  I then use your described methodology to crush the garlic clove.  At this point there is no pressure on the handle at all so this could in no way cause a bend.    Thanks for sharing your experience!

Joined Dec 27, 2015
It certainly appears that the bolster is not welded. I can't say with 100% certainty as I am no expert. It sure looks like 1 piece.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
It probably is welded. Per Shun:

"The bolster is the transition between the blade and the handle. Most Shun knives have a welded stainless-steel bolster that is hand-ground and polished so that it the blade flows seamlessly into the handle. "

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Some of the "tehniques" seen on TV like smashing garlic and ginger with the cleaver blade seem to be like TV drama by folks who don't mind replacing knives often. I once asked Yan about it; he basically confirmed. Crushing garlic under the blade is a different story. But crushing ginger????
As I recall, Yan only smashed slices of ginger, no thicker than a quarter. I would expect a blade to be able to make that sort of a smash, even just the hand against the flat sort of smash. 

Joined Nov 15, 2012

As I recall, Yan only smashed slices of ginger, no thicker than a quarter. I would expect a blade to be able to make that sort of a smash, even just the hand against the flat sort of smash. 
Yes, and I believe those are baby ginger to boot, or just tricked out before hand to be soft.  I watched one of his videos and I simply cannot believe that was an ordinary piece of hard ginger he was so easily mushing.

I think many knives have a soft temper at the tang, or are weakened from welding/brazing.  You can safely smash things with the heft of any heafty blade, but you cannot do it as if wielding a baseball bat for a home run. Flick your wrist to get velocity, but power should be off before actually hitting the board.

But lets face it, this is something you do to impress yourself, or your co-workers if that applies.  Is it going to impress the wife?  No, certainly don't think of doing it for that.  But the ratatat of rapidly chopping something, now that turns my SO on.

Rick

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
When I took classes with Yan I didn't get the impression that he was smashing stunt ginger, but it was sliced thick. I could be wrong, of course, and maybe it was stunt ginger. He loves the dramatic effect and can afford to abuse knives. I don't know what to think about the Chinese Grandmas who smash stuff with the side of a cleaver like its a hammer. But really there's a better way - micro plane. Everyone should have one or two for these kind of tasks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom