My sense of smell is gone!

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by french fries, Sep 10, 2008.

1. speakers

speakers

Exp:
    At home cook
    The ENT thinks it was a combo but likely allergic reaction to the herb or thermal damage. Once in a while I can smell oranges from several feet away and same for a coffee but the next day back to the "new normal".

2. seval erkut

seval erkut

Exp:
    At home cook
     I'm in this nightmare for 14 weeks now...it's too early to tell but I came up with many recovery stories which thankfully gives hope... as I read smelling at least something in the beginning is significant. And the fluctuations you mention are the worst. Mine is even worse;  in the middle of the night I wake up with a perfect sense of smell but in the morning its gone. Do you have parosmia or phantom smells? This is a crazy waiting game....

3. speakers

speakers

Exp:
    At home cook
    When I returned to work everything smelled like dust. Unfortunately as it turned out it wasn't anything other than the absence of other smells which I was used to in my office. I put a Glade air "freshener" in there which is a strong smell that I can sense. It helped. Seval: Over time I find I have forgotten what trees, flowers, grass etc smell like but it is a bit disconcerting that when going for a walk in the woods that I can only smell car exhaust far away so that is what fresh air means to me now. You will eventually be ok I believe. Recovery from virus induced smell loss is quite good. If you can smell as you mention at times your olfactory pathway to the brain to still ok. Since the nerve cells regenerate the question is can they find their way back to the pathway again. With a virus often that is doable since the gap to cross is relatively small. This is what I have read. For me the loss of sensory non-olfactory nerves is even worse since I cannot feel my nose, sense moisture etc. Imagine breathing through a thin straw. Take heart - I have read a great deal on smell loss and listened to my ENTs and your chances are good. I am assuming you are a non-smoker. If you do smoke you need to quit right away. I was a smoker and this was the first thing my ENT told me.

4. ricardo37

ricardo37

Exp:
    Other
    Hi to all.

Just want to share my experience with this thread.

First or all, i am not a medic neither affiliated with any medical institution.

My name is Ricardo i am from portugal male xD.

Never had any serious disease just the normal cold/flu once per year dez ~fev range.

Now this year was very dif from others because i had two cold or flu strikes;

The first came on dec 16, runny eyes, stuffed nose the usual, but it cured itself  within 2 days.

Now last sunday 26/02/2017, i waked with minor headache, runny nose, and throat pain(could not swallow), but no fever, and smell/taste was gonne.

Well, every year this happens, but this time, as we speak on the 4th day, throat pain is gone, headache went away on first day.

But when i did wake the smell was not there, only after a hour or so it did came but still very weak(i would say 15%).

Now i do not know if it is because the infection is still on, (i do now that my nose does not expelling mucus, but i fell there is something stuffing inside).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

5. c2sbi

c2sbi

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Sorry about the long delay (understatement I know) I just found your question.

By now I hope you have recovered your sense of smell.

To answer your question ( probably more for the sake of others due to the delay) my sense of smell had come back noticeably but not 100% completely at first. I remember using my essential oils as a testing ground for improvement. I would constantly test myself daily (without looking at the labels) to see how accurate my sense was becoming. I would write what I thought the oil fragrance I sniffed was and at the end of the test I would see how many I got right. I had good days and bad days but I knew that I was improving. This kept me positive. Several months later I started to smell smoke again and the distorted smell came back much to my dismay, but this was short lived. I still have sinus issues but my sense of smell is back.

Sorry again for the delay and I hope this helps someone.

Steve

Sosad likes this.
  6. ricardo37

ricardo37

Exp:
    Other
    Hi, no problem, i do thank you for your answer.

I my case, as it is today 02/03/2017, it did improve alot, because i can smell much more far away from the nose tip, but it seems to me in my case and probaly in others, the problem is blocked nasal passages due to inflamation, because there are brief moments that i can smell much better, when i clear my throat/nose.

From everything i read, and believe me, it was alot, when you have a damage that big on endings you cannot smell anything, zero.

In my case, i am still curing a common cold(not flu because i did not have the fever), this is the 5th day its very likely that the nasal passages are sllowen(i know they are blocked, i can breath good, but the noise outch).

My taste is now 99% recovered, smell is improving, BUT smelling in open spaces still not the same, but close range is improving.

From what i read, the olfactory epithelium do regenerate, from URI only.

This is a light of hope.

7. jenfrombaltimore

jenfrombaltimore

Exp:
    i Woke up on June 30,2017 with stuffy nose wheezing and a sore throat. Went to immediate care center
    Hi Freedom19
    I’m also suffering from distorted sense of smell and diminished sense of taste after my initial taste. On June 30 2017 I went to patient first with a sore throat stuffy nose and wheezing. To be diagnosed with a sinus infection never had one before so I accepted the diagnosis along with a antibiotic deoxcycline,cough syrup, and a asthma pump. Went home took the antibiotic that evening. Ate dinner tasting and smelling my hotdog and French fries for the last time the same until I recover. I am claiming my full recovery. ThT morning I woke up and couldn’t smell or taste a thing. I knew something wasn’t right it was a different loss of smell and taste from a cold. Day 3 I attributed my loss senses to the antibiotic deoxcycline so I stopped taking them started trying to jump start the return of smelling and tasting by smelling and tasting whatever i saw. No luck. 2 weeks went by and I hit the internet researching deoxcycline. Found some results about loss of smell and taste from taking it. I went to my doctor expressed my concerns. He didn’t believe there were any associations and advised me to take the antibiotic and a referral to a ENT. I did. I started using home remedies. Garlic onions cayenne pepper ginger soup no help. It took 2 weeks to see the ENT. In the mean time I I started smelling and tasting certain things. Couldn’t smell or taste coffee or meat. Those wonderful smelling and tasting things I enjoyed on a regular basis. I stopped drinking coffee and started drinking tea at which I could taste. But still would eat steak although I couldn’t taste it. Within those 2 weeks I lost 20 pounds. And couldn’t sleep at night I would hyperventilate. Couldn’t keep still constantly walking my mind was racing I thought I was going to have a break down. I prayed constantly. I started aroma therapy 4 essential oils. Lemon,rose, clover and eucalyptus in the morning and bedtime. I could smell the oils as soon I started smelling them. I saw the Ent doctor she said I picked up a nose virus and my right nostril was extremely inflamed. Gave me steroid and a sinus rinse regiment nightly no change returned and she gave me a nasonex nasal spray and continue the saline rinse. I started having increased diminished taste and smell. I stopped putting those chemicals in my nose. And started vitamins alphor lorpic acid 200 mg 3 times a day a muti vitamin , zinc and b12 a day. I have good and bad days of tasting and smelling. I used some bleach to clean a friends bathroom and soon as I finished cleaning I couldn’t smell or taste what little progress I made. I was devastated. That’s when I started smelling the chemical aspect of perfume items. It all have the same smell it not bad. Just strange. It’s been about 4months. I am still hopeful. At the present I am unable to smell foul odors in an open room. If place under my nose I can and I can’t taste meat the savory flavor of meat or coffee. I can’t even smell coffee. I had a keen sense of smell and taste before this happened. At time I get an aroma that comes cross my nose. Phantom smells. Not bad smells. Onions I can’t taste or smell even if I put the onion to my nose. So strange I loved onions and would go over board with them. I’m still doing my essential oils. And vitamins.also gained the 20 pounds back. Saw another ENT doctor he wanted to give me steroids and offered hope. Time will heal us. I wish you and everyone healing. I am so grateful for this forum. I will continue to post with my progress and support for all. Please fell free to ask me questions.

misscoffee, Sosad and phaedrus like this.
  8. Sansa

Sansa

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I had an illness some time ago that caused me to lose my taste. It came back after a few months. Ask a doctor about this and check on the CDC website for drug effects and illness symptoms. Do you know what virus you had?

9. jenfrombaltimore

jenfrombaltimore

Exp:
    i Woke up on June 30,2017 with stuffy nose wheezing and a sore throat. Went to immediate care center
    Hi Sansa thank you for responding.I’m happy to hear you have recovered from your illness and have your taste back. Unfortunately I am still recovering. The Doctors stated I had a sinus infection (virus). It hasn’t gotten any better or worse. I’m grateful for that. Thanks again and I will check the CDC.

10. Dyellz

Dyellz

Exp:
    N/A
    I am so thankful to find this thread! There is so little info out there about this condition. I too had a bad cold just before Christmas this year and now have lost my sense of taste. I was very sick for 2 weeks (major sinus issues, cough but no fever.) At one point during the 'cold' I lost my sense of smell for about 3-4 days but thought that was normal when so congested. I am pretty sure it turned into a sinus infection as I had a headache and facial pain along with it. I am not one to struggle with sinus issues, this is probably the second time I can remember feeling that way. I went to see the doctor 9 days into the cold and she said I had a viral infection. She gave me antibiotics but said it should clear on it's own. It did so I didn't take the antibiotics. 4 days later I was better. I could smell and taste. I remember eating Godiva chocolate cheesecake on Christmas Day and loving it. After a week of being 'better' (on New Year's Day) I noticed I couldn't taste my soup at lunch and have not had a sense of 'flavor' since. I can smell quite well but can't seem to taste anything. I get hints of sweet, salt, bitter, sour and I think from my sense of smell get a hint of what I am eating. The taste in my mouth is always like a diluted salt water, even when I drink water. I sometimes get very bitter, metallic tastes too. Most things taste like cardboard in my mouth. It is all very unsettling and upsetting!

My doctor said that this is not uncommon after having suffered a URI (so it seems this is linked to my upper respiratory infection). She said to give it 1-2 weeks and it should be fine. It is 2 weeks later now. I checked back in with the doc after 10 days, freaking out. My regular doc was out of the office so I consulted with someone new - he said that the issue must be with my nose and not the tongue/mouth as taste and smell come from the same olfactory place and smell is key to taste. He said I need to 'work on my nose', that the infection may have cleared from my main nasal passageways but not the smaller ones which can impact taste. I have now been on a regimen of a saline nasal rinse 3x/day and Flonase 2x/day for about 6 days. I also decided to also take the 5 day Z-pack antibiotic in case there is remnants of bacterial infection, today is my last day and no changes so far.

My doctor has also ordered a blood test to look at my Vitamin B and Zinc levels as apparently deficiencies of these vitamins can lead to a loss of taste. I am going in to get that tested today. Everyone seems totally STUMPED by this...especially that I have my sense of smell but not taste. My doc admitted she had never had someone come to her with quite this issue. I think my sense of smell must be impacted by this but I can't tell how much...I have always had a great sense of smell. I also have two kids under 5, work full time and have a house remodel going on right now. I have known my immune system has been dragging in the gutter for some months because of the current state of my life (lots of wonderful, positive things but all are a heavy load to carry).

Please if anyone is still reading this, I would appreciate a response/some hope/any pointers. Has anyone loss their sense of taste and not smell? If so, how long??? I may try the alpha lipoic acid supplements - I have ready they may help? This is so depressing, I am a healthy 37 year old Mom :( :( :(

11. Dyellz

Dyellz

Exp:
    N/A
    Hi Sansa, Can you please elaborate on your comment? I too have lost my sense of taste after a cold/sinus infection. I can breathe and smell fine but can't taste. This is freaking me out. How long did it last? What was your experience like? I would appreciate your input so much!!

12. Amsterdammer

Amsterdammer

Exp:
    startup cook
    Hi FF
    Awesome your sense of smell has returned! My late MIL lost hers forever... perhaps that was part of the problem!

Just wanted to say that I once had the opposite issue. I was on heavy duty antibiotics to clear up a bone infection, and after a couple of weeks on them, my sense of smell was incredibly heightened. Every smell became so intense that I had to stop using perfumed soap, threw out scented candles which made me feel ill. My very clean partner even grossed me out. I wondered if it could be handy for wine tasting, but apparently they need a "normal" nose! Thankfully, after I stopped the antibiotics, I was back to normal.

I thinks its very hard to live with either condition, especially when you work with food.

All the best

13. tasteless2

tasteless2

Exp:
    none
    I'm so frustrated! I had a 5 day episode the first week in November where I had a terrible cough for 2 days that transitioned into an incredibly painful throat...not a sore throat, but a pain that even caused me to tremble at the thought of swallowing my saliva. When that pain went away, so did my ability to smell and taste. I am able to discern salty, sweet, bitter and savory tastes, but cannot identify them. Until recently, I was able to add infused Grapefruit or Lemon balsamic vinegar to my foods and those were tastes I could enjoy. Yesterday I could not taste them anymore. I am trying to smell essential oils to retrain my sense of smell. The smells are quite faint. I did pour peppermint oil onto a container of Potpourrie and I smell something like menthol or camphor. It's encouraging to read that some posters here have made a remarkable recovery. I hope I will be one of them in the near future. I can identify with their comments about coffee and other things having a similar smell that is quite unlike what things should smell like. Gosh, I miss the smell of soap, perfume, flowers, bread baking and food cooking. If I'm lucky enough to get my sense of smell back, I will never take it for granted again. "Smell" is such a big part of enjoying Life.

14. saratgh

saratgh

Exp:
    hi everyone.almost a week go i caugh a teribble cold n then i lost my sense of smell,at first i thought its normal,my ent prescribed some antibiotics and stroid nasal spray, but they don work n i go worse every day,im really scared if i loos it for all☹️☹️☹️

15. Sosad

Sosad

Exp:
    I've lost my sense of taste and smell for 3 months now. My ENT prescribed Prednisone 50mg for 5 days and Flonase. It hasn't helped. I'm going for a MRI next Tuesday. I'm not sure if anyone else is, but the loss of these senses has me severely depressed!! People I know don't seem to think it's a big deal, but the thought of not getting them back is extremely frightening! I hope to hear from anyone and who has recovered or can relate to the impact the loss of taste and smell has on their quality of life. I feel very alone in this.

16. Sosad

Sosad

Exp:
    Have you recovered?

17. misscoffee

misscoffee

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi Sosad, I saw your post about losing your sense of smell. I lost mine after a bad sinus infection in July of 2015. It was a long road, but I have to say that I have about 97% of it back. I can taste almost everything perfectly now. There are a very few things that I have some trouble with, but they are also getting better. It was very depressing and most people don't understand what you are going through. You never realize how much your sense of smell is a part of your life. I corresponded for a long time (still do) with Miss Chocolate also on this site. Together we got through that awful ordeal. Your sense of smell comes back very slowly and you will have good and bad weeks. I had distortions at first, but they are mostly gone. Miss Chocolate did not have any distortions. If you can smell a few things - it's a good sign that all will come back eventually. Buy some essential oils and smell them every day (several times) to stimulate your sense of smell. I bought lemon, clove, rose and lavender. Wishing you all the best. Feel free to write if you have more questions.

18. Sosad

Sosad

Exp:

19. Sosad

Sosad

Exp:

20. Sosad

Sosad

Exp:
    Hi Miss Coffee,
    I was so happy to see your response and that you have recovered. It gives me hope. From what I read it took about 3 years for you to regain your senses is that right? I feel very alone in this and have been severely depressed. I don't enjoy eating. Most every day all I'll eat is a bowl of cereal. I'll also eat ice cream as I can slightly taste the sweetness. That is pretty much my diet. I'm really hoping this passes soon it's devastating to my quality of life. Was it for you? I wish I could talk to you. My number is 586-209-8103 my name in Cindy. If you can call me if not I'll look for your post. Thank you for responding. I'm happy for your recovery!