My pralines came out too hard

Joined Mar 12, 2005
My pralines came out too hard, they are like pecans inside rock hard candy.

What did I do wrong?

The sugar/water mixture is suppose to be heated beyond the hard crack stage, correct?

Joined Apr 20, 2007
you over cooked the sugar..

"Cook until the mixture reaches 239 degrees with a candy thermometer. If you don't have a candy thermometer, bring it to the soft ball stage."

Joined Mar 12, 2005
Thank you, that it what I thought.

The cookbook I have is incorrect and says to take the sugar past the hardcrack stage and bring it close to 375deg.

Joined Apr 20, 2007
never trust a cookbook. I find many times there is a LOT of misleading information in them.

Makes me feel that they do it on purpose ...lol ( or maybe I'm just paranoid? lol)

Joined Mar 12, 2005
I find that too, lol, its like do they even try these recipes before they publish them?

Joined Dec 23, 2006
Paul Prudhomme has a great tip in one of his early books: when the mixture makes strings on the side of the bowl it's ready (I use the cook, cool and beat method). I have always tested temps, and the only perfect pralines I've ever made have been when I stopped at his "string" stage. I'll see strings and still have the wrong temp, keep going to the correct temp, and have a failure. But every time I stop at strings I have a sale-able product.

-From "Not a candy maker but loves a good Praline" Pat

Latest posts

Top Bottom