My NEXT Project ... SOUPS ...

Joined Jan 4, 2011
In this project I'm gonna try to make wonderful soups. Generally I don't need any help in making very good soups, I just wanna try to make "over-the-top" bowls. Maybe that's asking a lot ... an "over-the-top" bowl of soup? ... Kinda funny. ... But we'll see.

OK then ... here's my first ...
"French Onion". ...

1.jpg
I didn't have any decent white wine handy ... so I'm going with beer. The two(2) cheeses didn't come sliced at my store so I'm gonna have to blitz them up. I'm using both beef and chicken stocks because a vid I saw said that it makes more layers of flavor that way.

2.jpg
Another vid I saw said to cut each half horizontally ... then cut less slices vertically. ... They're gonna seriously reduce anyway. It's a lot less cuts and gives more continuity to each piece. *** A note as to cutting up onions: Unless you're an Asian speed-freak with a knife ... think about "slicing" more than "chopping". Less "cell explosions" and a LOT less tears.
3.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
Heres the cheese all blitzed up (I would have preferred slices). *** A note as to blitzing cheese: Be careful with spinning the blades too long. Pulsing is so much better, especially with softer cheeses. Too much blitzing a softer cheese will give you nasty "globs" instead of "crumbles".
6.jpg
I waited until the onions were caramelized to a point I was good with. Then I added the first round of liquids (beer, whoosty, vinegar). I cooked that all down and added the second round (stocks). I let everything come back up to simmer and last added the bourbon.
... You all remember my Sous right?
7.jpg
I toasted the bread on a rack to get both sides at once. I used a pretzel roll on lack of anything else available at the time.
8.jpg
Going in ...

9.jpg
... Served up.

All in all ... I'm very pleased. Next time I'm gonna use yellow onions instead of Spanish ... and I'll go with all beef stock. The chicken can hit the road.

... There were NO leftovers ...
grade: B+.

"We work in kitchens ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

Last edited:
Joined Nov 26, 2020
In this project I'm gonna try to make wonderful soups. Generally I don't need any help in making very good soups, I just wanna try to make "over-the-top" bowls. Maybe that's asking a lot ... an "over-the-top" bowl of soup? ... Kinda funny. ... But we'll see.

OK then ... here's my first ...
"French Onion". ...

I didn't have any decent white wine handy ... so I'm going with beer. The two(2) cheeses didn't come sliced at my store so I'm gonna have to blitz them up. I'm using both beef and chicken stocks because a vid I saw said that it makes more layers of flavor that way.

Another vid I saw said to cut each half horizontally ... then cut less slices vertically. ... They're gonna seriously reduce anyway. It's a lot less cuts and gives more continuity to each piece. *** A note as to cutting up onions: Unless you're an Asian speed-freak with a knife ... think about "slicing" more than "chopping". Less "cell explosions" and a LOT less tears.
Heres the cheese all blitzed up (I would have preferred slices). *** A note as to blitzing cheese: Be careful with spinning the blades too long. Pulsing is so much better, especially with softer cheeses. Too much blitzing a softer cheese will give you nasty "globs" instead of "crumbles".
I waited until the onions were caramelized to a point I was good with. Then I added the first round of liquids (beer, whoosty, vinegar). I cooked that all down and added the second round (stocks). I let everything come back up to simmer and last added the bourbon.
... You all remember my Sous right?
I toasted the bread on a rack to get both sides at once. I used a pretzel roll on lack of anything else available at the time.
Going in ...

... Served up.

All in all ... I'm very pleased. Next time I'm gonna use yellow onions instead of Spanish ... and I'll go with all beef stock. The chicken can hit the road.

... There were NO leftovers ...
grade: B+.

"We work in kitchens ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".
Looks goooood. Yum Yum

Top Bottom