My New Favorite White-Flesh Fish Recipe

Joined Oct 30, 2016
Today I was finding the need to try something new for the sake of my tastebuds as  I was preparing my Halibut. I found an interesting recipe on youtube, but it seems to be lacking something. The contrast between the cayenne pepper and the parmesan cheese was more than delightful, but  I can not figure out what it lacks. Do any of you have any pointers on how to finish off this recipe?

The recipe can be found at : 
If any of you could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Joined Sep 18, 2010
I  would like to add chopped garlic into the coating mix  for more flavor

Joined Jun 23, 2015
Use fresh grated Parmesan cheese.  Squeeze fresh lemon for the juice and use a little zest.  Use mayonnaise instead of miracle whip.  

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Not only would I not finish off this recipe, I would even start it. Nothing about this video is a good idea. The finish product looked awful, I could see why you thought you needed a bit more from the recipe. When you cook fish simper is best. The Halibut is the king of the plate. The buttery delicate flavor of the heavy white flake fish should come through. Take a look at something like this.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/giadas-lemon-butter-halibut-0192509.html

Joined Oct 30, 2016
Thanks for the welcome and for the pointers on how to make the recipe improve. I have always heard that fresh products make every recipe better. I will for sure try that the next time I make the recipe. 

Joined Oct 30, 2016

Not only would I not finish off this recipe; I wouldn't even start it. Nothing about this video is a good idea. The finished product looked awful; I could see why you thought you needed a bit more from the recipe. When you cook fish simpler is best. The Halibut is the king of the plate. The delicate buttery flavor of the heavy white flake fish should come through. Take a look at something like this.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/giadas-lemon-butter-halibut-0192509.html
Firstly, I should say that the way a finished product look doesn't matter to my taste buds. I've paid a lot of money to eat at expensive restaurants where they go through extreme processes to make the food a work of art, and  I have hardly ever been more satisfied with the flavor than  I would have by going to the golden arches. Examples of this are:

Dos Cielos (Barcelona, Spain)-cost 165 Euros(just for me)

Rouge(Calgary, Alberta)-Cost $215 dollars per person for Chef's tasting menu and Premium Wine pairing.

And I have gone to many others that have always disappointed me. I guess I am just not a fine dining type of guy. I do realize that lots of Chefs have a lot of pride in the way they present their food, but lots of the time I feel like they put more effort into the appearance than the flavor. Which as a customer that cares about flavor, seems a bit ridiculous to me.

But anyway, everyone is free to have their own opinions. You have yours, I have mine. That halibut tasted great yesterday, it looked good enough to eat to me, and I am sure with the pointers from the people above, it will taste even better.

Joined May 25, 2015
I have to agree with Chefbilly,  that looks pretty disgusting with all that miracle whip on it. You may not agree, but appearance is probably 75% of what makes food appetizing.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
I cook a fair amt of fish and agree that less is more when it comes down to seasoning.

Especially when working with the mild, delicate and slightly sweet varieties of flat fish.

We catch mostly flounder so that is what I will describe....

Just remove the head and from there make an incision with a nice sharp filet knife (each side of the bone) and tease both "sides" open without completely removing the filet.

Remove the icky parts and rinse (gently)...I leave the scales ...just peel the skin back while eating.

Same with the skeleton...just pick around them during the meal then lift it out before attacking the bottom flesh.

I season gently as well.. a nice size knob of compound butter (lemon and pepper...sometimes a tiny bit of garlic powder) smeared in the pocket made during cleaning.

Make sure the "bottom" flesh has its share of attention ;-)

Cover with foil and "steam-bake" until flaky.

Enjoy with more fresh lemon.

The same compound butter would be applied to a fish "steak" like a halibut.

If you get it as dry as possible the butter will stick ...no need for any mayo glue.

mimi

Top Bottom