My Micro Greens (picture inside)

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, Dec 25, 2015.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Along with my herbs I am growing micro greens for the winter.  :)  Arugala and Baby lettuce takes about two weeks from seed to harvest.  The left side is a mix of I don't know what, but it's not going quite as fast.

2. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That's cute.

3. neworleanscookj

neworleanscookj

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Wish I could do something like that that here. I gotta get outta the hood. Cheapo lawn chairs disappear if they're not chained down :(

4. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    This is indoors.  I use 80 watts total fluorescent lighting.  The arugula and baby lettuce goes from seed to harvest in two weeks.

5. neworleanscookj

neworleanscookj

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hmm, I have a section of my kitchen wall that has no overhead cabinets in my apartment, could I build a shelf for a small herb garden? Like a 5x1.5 ft with a 2 ft clearance from the ceiling? Would I need the lighting above on all the time? Drainage? My location in town is very inconvenient for fresh herbs or chili peppers so an investment in a indoor microgarden would save me time and money in the long run... btw I am not very mechanically inclined or knowledgeable about plants indoors. Thanks for any info anyone can provide, or a hammer lol :D

6. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You could probably find some clip on work lamps at a garage sale and buy some compact fluorescent 6500k lightbulbs cheap from Amazon.

I turn mine off so the plants can rest.  I don't know why but I just do.

7. neworleanscookj

neworleanscookj

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Kuan, would herbs like basil, rosemary, thyme, sage, cilantro and flat leaf parlsey do okay with such a low clearance to the light source? Also my kitchen is unventilated (Other than the occasional box fan in the window for heavy searing or stir frys) would a overhead shelf be okay with oils from cooking raising in the air? Thx in advance, didnt even think of this potential space in my kitchen, a spice rack would be a second choice, but fresh herbs at eye level would be pretty cool if it could work

8. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I'm not that much of an expert, but the basil just grows toward the light and the rosemary too but I think the Rosemary can be "trained" or you can even get the type of Rosemary which bushes out.

I've had problems with Thyme.  I had to replant my Thyme into a bigger container because the roots were all bundled choking themselves.  At the point all I know is I successfully have managed to have some basil, thyme, and rosemary, and have grown microgreens.  But there's still a few months of winter left in Minnesota so my excitement may be premature.  :)

9. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hey @ChrisLehrer  check this out.

Update:  My Basil died in January but my Rosemary and Thyme made it and it's back outside now.  The microgreens were really quite low yield but I managed to get three harvests.  Basically it was maintenance and not bountiful.