Chef Forum banner

My lemongrass tastes like hay

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  french fries 
#1 ·
My lemongrass was overgrown and had a lot of dried leaves so I cut all the leaves and trimmed the stems to about 1' 1/2 from the ground, and the stems seemed alive to me. Yet when I cut a couple off and started pounding them and cutting them, there was no smell. I started to chew on the white part of some of those stems... and there was no taste at all. 

Is it just dead? 

#4 ·
Never tried to grow lemongrass. You might not be in the right climate zone or soil type for it to develop?
Perhaps, but.... I forgot to mention that I've had that lemongrass bush for over 10 years and this is the first year I've decided to trim it and am having this issue. Not sure if the issue is related to the trimming or not.
Check out this great article, it might not be the exact answer, but maybe it helps
Thanks... so I never did any of that but just inserted the stalks right into the soil, and that worked great for the first 10 years, it's just this year that I've noticed the lack of taste and smell.

#5 ·
How long is it after you trimmed the lemongrass?

It might just be a matter of time till they fill out again

I do it occasionally to get rid of dead stalks and leaves, but never as low as you did. I suppose I stay about 15-20 cm of the ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.