My Introduction

Joined Feb 19, 2002
I also just discovered this site today -- look forward to reading and posting.

I am professional Catering manager for a large firm (which has to remain nameless, lest I lose my job) here in Los Angeles.

Before getting this job last October, I catered a number of private, historical feasts and have a passion for research and recreating gastronomic adventures from history.

I also have an online antiquarian bookstore and read vociferously. I trained at a local cooking school (Epicurean) which does a 20-week "Pro-Chef" course. I am also preparing to write a book on The Eating Habits of the Victorian Gentry.:chef:

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Carolyn, I can't wait to read what you have to say! I love reading about cooking from other eras, but know little about the Victorian table except that the upper classes ate a gazillion courses. How did the working class eat? You mentioned historical feasts; have you done other eras besides the Victorian? We've had some interesting conversations about medieval food now and then. Your insights will be interesting to many here.

Welcome!

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Welcome to Chef Talk Carolyn!

Can't wait to read you. I’m already looking forward to learning more about your book project.

Joined Feb 19, 2002
Once every three or four months, I prepare and serve a 14- to 17-course Moroccan feast for a local Fraternal organization. Quite recently, I researched and prepared a Cole Porter celebration where different buffets were set up for each decade of Cole Porter's career: The 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, and "After the War."

And, yes, I've done way too many Medieval feasts that I'm happier forgetting (awful food, really).

Joined Feb 11, 2002
Hi Carolyn -
I love the idea of themed feasts - Cole Porter sounds fantastic. Did you have a band or piano playing his music while dining? That would be too divine!

What about a Sinatra dinner? You could start out Hoboken Italian, move through to 1940's Toots Schorr and finish out Rat Pack style a la Vegas! The dessert would have to be wild, sinful and chocolate - Ava Gardner
And of course cigars, great wine and a lot of booze in general :bounce:

What did you serve for your Moroccan feast? I recently did Moroccan - one of my favorite foods BTW - for a large dinner party at the Sundance Film Festival and had an interesting time trying to find items like orange blossom water in Park City!

Peace:)

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Welcome to the boards Carolyn. I hope you enjoy your time here.

I know what you mean. I have worked in restaurants and now I work in catering, and though, I like the catering world, I have found owners of catering companies to be some of the most paranoid people I have ever met (this does not apply to all catering owners). When I came to work here I had to sign my life away, including a confidentiality contract, and a form stating that I will turn in all recipes that I have, back into the chef before I leave (indluding any notebooks that I have used to write recipes down). Also had to sign a "non-compete" cause, stating that when I live my place of employment, I will not work for another caterer within a 50 mile radius for the following year. I must also turn in my employee handbook, my supervisors handbook, any disks that may have anything related to work. Hard copies of any interoffice memos or banquet sheets I might have.

Don't get me wrong, this is not some ranting and raving, I just find this all to be amusing. I a good laugh as I read and signed all these forms.

Well, back on track. Once again, Welcome!!!! You will find lots of helpful, friendly people here on the boards, I know I have.

Joined Feb 19, 2002
Funny thing -- I, too, have signed confidentiality agreements, etc. I find the whole thing laughable as I continue to work all my personal events anyway.

The Cole Porter event was staged by a local, very upscale venue (gee, it shouldn't be hard for locals to figure out where I work). There were lots of Hollywood stars in attendance and a piano bar was set up to give the feel of a 30's nightclub. I just staged the food.

On the Morrocan feast that I do personally, I stage them in my house. All the furniture in my living room is moved out while tons of Oriental rugs are brough in with pillows. I tend to keep it down to 20 people and then it gets a bit tight.

Joined Feb 11, 2002
I agree those confidentiality contracts seem like a joke, but they can turn around and bite you in the ***!

As a former personal chef to some very high profile people, I've learned to be discreet in even the most casual mention of a subject.
A dear friend was a chef to a Big Hollywood Star and inadverdently let slip an innoccuous (at the time) statement to someone at a party.That person called the National Enquirer where it was immediately published front page,
resulting in not only dismissal for the chef but serious threat of lawsuit.
(Eventually it was settled-only because the chef threatend to REALLY reveal
things if charges weren't dropped) Not a pretty story -eh?
I love Hollywood - it's so hardboiled!
BTW- about revealing a local upscale venue -
EVERYBODY in this town thinks their place is just that:lol:

Peace.:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom