My first cooking job! And a question about keeping paper thin prosciutto moist.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by x86bsd, Apr 20, 2012.

1. x86bsd

x86bsd

Exp:
    Line Cook
    So I just got my foot in the kitchen at a wonderful venue here in CT, at the ripe old age of 37, better late than never :)
    And I had a question about paper thin sliced prosciutto ham. It's very thin so it dries out really fast. The kitchen I started in just has saran wrap over the plate of the thin slices to keep them from drying out. When we were making sandwiches it was unwrap, take a slice, wrap the plate back up. Over and over. It seems really annoying to have to keep the ham covered when making sandwiches. I was wondering if there was anyway to keep those thin slices from drying out other than wrapping them? Like a solution you could spray that wont impart any flavor or something. Any ideas?

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Layer in between sheets of butcher paper.

3. x86bsd

x86bsd

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Thank you! Thats much easier to deal with than saran wrap, I hate dealing with that stuff even though its handy :)

4. zoebisch

zoebisch

Exp:
    Other
    Possibly also, aside from the layering with paper, which I'd do at any rate to keep from having to wrestle with pulling them apart, a food-grade clear box and if you're worried maybe a moist paper towel in the corner to keep the humidity.

5. x86bsd

x86bsd

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Also a good idea, thank you!

6. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Wax paper works well as the slices are less prone to sticking or patty paper if you already have it on hand.

Dave

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    take a piece of parchment paper and put it in water and put between layers. Damp paper towel also works.

8. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How ever the chef want's it done.

9. ouroboros

ouroboros

Exp:
    Line Cook
    use a shallow perf pan over a deeper pan with some water in it, lay the slices out on butcher paper with space around the sides to allow the water to breathe up, lid it....just kidding... or better yet just spritz them with some extra virgin... also, it shouldn't dry out as fast if its refrigerated.. but it should be served at room temperature