My Experience with Chroma Type 301 knives

Joined Jun 7, 2021
I have varied set of kitchen knives, from a natural patina, old high carbon steel butcher's knife, to circa 1974 Chicago Cutlery Stain Resistant knives, and my Chroma Type 301, 10" Chef's knife. My favorites are the high carbon butcher's knife, and the Chroma.

Trying to put an objective spin on the Chroma evaluation:
first, the blade geometry: The edge is a convex edge, and is has a curved belly, with a dropped spine to the tip. A steel isn't recommended by Chroma . I have been using a quality steel on my knife since I got it in 2003, with great results. I rarely have to use wet stones, or strops to re-sharpen. Ideally, for a convex edge, if using a power sharpener, someth9ing like a Work Sharp, with sharpening belts, and a leather strop, Electric knife sharpeners with grinding wheels, and most rod style sharpeners are designed for v-grinds. Dragging the blade heel first across the strop, will maintain the convex shape, as the leather will conform to that shape. This is much more challenging to accomplish with a flat stone. A convex edge, by its geometry, is stronger that a v, or chisel shape edge.

The blades is tapered thicker at the spine, and thinning in a straight line to the belly. The metal is stain resistant but will pit, ad corrode if not taken care of. This is true of all stainless knives. Acidic food, and alkali substances will create corrosion, and pitting. You wouldn't think it, but meats, potatoes, onions, garlic, and many other foods, even sugar, are acidic in nature. Leaving food residue on the knife will definitely lead to corrosion, as will standing water, as it contains minerals and salts that will affect the metal..

I find it easy to refresh the edge of my Chroma with the steel. I learned a great steeling technique from a pro kite sharpener that just works. I'm right handed. I hold steel handle in my left hand, pointing the steel away from me. I then place the heel of the blade on the steel, and at a 20 degree angle, and push the knifer away from me, edge first. I do tis 5 times.

I repeat tis by again placing the other side of the knife edge onto the underside of the steel, an doing the same. Then, 4 strokes on top, and four on the bottom, followed by three on top, and three on the bottom, repeating this until I have counted down to one stroke per side. I can drop a tomato onto the edge, and it slices cleanly through. It's that sharp when maintained properly. And for that, i steel it before and after use, every time. Moderate, to firm pressure is required for good results. Take care not to slap the knife edge against the steel as this can cause chipping.'

The Handle: For my hand, it just fits very comfortably. The flat back edge allows me to bear down when slicing through something hard, like rutabaga, or carrots, yet allowing a great rocking motion for mincing and slicing softer veggies. I find the task to making carrot sticks a breeze with this knife. It is also great for slicing through a large watermelon.
It has an odd shape, and is smooth metal, with a pearl to denote the junction point between the handle and blade, and the knife, and that handle, due to it's geometry, is not slippery when wet, or covered with oily juices, say when carving a cooked pork shoulder, or roasted turkey, where the whole knife gets covered

i have tried Wusthoff, Global, Henckles, and others, including some highs end Japanese style knives. The German steel is heavy. Prolonged work causes fatigue. I don't care for the handle shape. Japanese knives are great, but very pricey. French knives are high quality, but again, though they are well balanced, and a great weight and shape, I like the Chroma handle better.

One of my sons is a professional cook/chef, and won't use any other brand of knife. He likes them so much, he won't use any other brand.. He has the complete set, even the dimpled ones.

There are many differently shaped hades, with thick, muscular palms, delicate hands with long fingers, soft, hard, well, you get the idea. The knife that fits me perfectly, might be all wrong for you, and vise versa. Just make sure to do research on the knives you are contemplating, and if possible, give them a test drive to see if they really will work for you. I, and one of my boys prefers Chroma. The other son loves Henckles. My girls love their Kyocera ceramic knives. Are any of them right, or wrong? No. But you really can't base your expensive knife purchase on someone else's evaluation. you have to try the knife yourself, and find out if it is comfortable for you, and suits the purpose fir which it will be used,

That's my observation about the Chroma Type 301 knives. Being human, and the fact that I made the purchase colors my judgement, at least a little. I tried to give an accurate description of my knife observation. I hope it helps clear up some misconceptions, and allows you to make an informed judgement of your own.

Seeeeeya: Chief Longwind of te North

Top Bottom