My Christmas Ham

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nicko, Dec 25, 2013.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    9.5# fresh ham from our farmer. Brined, smoked and glazed. Came out much better than I expected. 

Details: 
    • Brined 1/2 day per pound in salt, brown sugar, pink salt and cloves
    • Rinsed and dried for half a day+
    • Smoked for about 8 hours at 200-250 with a combination of hickory and apple 
    • glazed with brown sugar, garlic and dijon mustard.
    Hope everyone here has a Merry Christmas

phatch likes this.
  2. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Looks great Nicko, I wish you and yours a wonderful Christmas and a Happy & Healthy New Year...........Bill

3. alex romero

alex romero

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Nice looking ham chef Nicko and thanks for sharing your technique and recipe, hope you and your family have a great holiday. I didn't brine mine next year I will, but I did use the similar glaze.   

4. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Great looking smoke ring on that Nicko - a Merry Christmas indeed. 

5. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Wow... is that beautiful!  I opted to do a braised pork shoulder rather than ham this year... and  now I'm re-thinking that decision.  Too late for me to change, but your picture is making my mouth water.

6. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Stunning! Merry Christmas everybody.

7. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Stop it!  LOL.  Oh, my, that looks delish.

Hope you & yours had a very happy holiday.

8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That's amazing, so you mean that was a fresh joint when you bought it?  How did you get it that pink color?  

9. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    @Koukouvagia  Yes it was a "fresh" ham we buy a half a pig every year from a local farmer and store the meat in our freezer. This year we purchased a whole hog and have two nice size hams and I used the one for our Christmas ham. The pink color comes from the brining process which contains "pink" salt which you use in your brine to prevent botulism mainly but also gives the meat that nice pink color. Of course the smoking also helps give the exterior a great color. It really is not as difficult as you might think Koukou it just takes time. Doing it in the winter in Chicago is much easier because I can brine the ham outside and not have to take up space in our one fridge. Even though the weather became a bit warm I had surrounded the brining pot with snow and it stayed a perfect 32 degrees.