My cast iron still sticks...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kernels33, Oct 3, 2002.

1. kernels33

kernels33

Helllllllllp

Should I use a lot of butter or oil when I use my cast iron griddle? It sticks like crazy otherwise.

Thank you,
    Mike

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The initial seasoning process is only a start. To get good non-stick performance, you need to cook greasy items for a bit to help season it well. After that, good care is the key. You may not have a proper season on the griddle yet.

Additionally, you have to leave things alone until they "release" themselves at the proper point in cooking. If you mess with it too early, it will stick.

Phil

3. davewarne

davewarne

I use a lot of cast-iron skillets for frying steaks. The secret is to keep using them. It's difficult at home, smoke and grease etc all over the place, but get the pan REALLY hot and dump the steak in it with a tiny knob of butter or a little oil. Don't touch it til you're ready to turn it over. Smoke everywhere but a nice crusty steak with pink in the middle. MMMmmmm delicious. Weather permitting you could do this outside the first few times. The carbon soon builds up and makes a non-stick finish. Never scrape or scour, but washing by hand is OK. Treat a seasoned pan with respect, it's worth it's weight in gold.

Dave

4. riverrun

riverrun

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i use some cast iron at my resturant and i find that if i heat it with some oil until smoking and then add table salt and then wipe with a dry towel and let cool i have no problems with sticking:chef:

5. whatshisname

whatshisname

Exp:
    Line Cook
  6. nick

nick

Good info, Whatshis'. This quote from it reinforces what I posted under the restoring cast iron thread.

"2. Brady Allison (1/26/00) sent in her technique for repairing cast iron pans:
    "I was perusing your hints and saw the question about cleaning coatings off cast iron. The method I always use for old cast iron (as in having picked up a piece cheap at a yard sale or auction do to crud covering it) is to place it in a fire till the coating burns and turns to ash. Then You can wipe the coating off and season after cool."

Dave, got to disagree with you on puttting in the meat and not touching it. Right after it's been put in, it should be moved around to keep it from sticking. Then leave it alone.

Edit: If you've rubbed the meat with oil before putting it in, this may not be necessary. But, check to make sure it slides.

7. kernels33

kernels33

<sitting>
    <reading>
    <learning from the masters >
    <saving everything I can for use later>

Thank you mucho. Shalom,
    Mike :bounce: