My cast iron pan cooks unevenly in an unusual way

Joined Jul 28, 2020
So I have a bought pre seasoned Iron skillet that I use on an electric stove with glass top. I have to spin the skillet 180 to get food to cook evenly on all sides. I dont have problems with steel pans on the same burner. It's the large burner in front. I guess it might be the burner itself, but is this uncommon for this type cast iron skillet?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Might be a few things.

If you have a decorated bottom, that could leave some contact gaps leading to uneven cooking

The cast might have a void on that side.

The casting may be uneven and thicker on the slow side.

Your heating coil may be tilted. Cast iron doesn't conduct heat as well as regular pans and so you're only seeing the effect of the slight tilt in the cast iron.

Joined Jul 28, 2020
Might be a few things.

If you have a decorated bottom, that could leave some contact gaps leading to uneven cooking

The cast might have a void on that side.

The casting may be uneven and thicker on the slow side.

Your heating coil may be tilted. Cast iron doesn't conduct heat as well as regular pans and so you're only seeing the effect of the slight tilt in the cast iron.
Thanks!

With the glass top of the electric stove, I can't see the coil to know. I hadn't thought until making my post that it might be the stove and I should try the larger back burner to see if there is a difference.

I had forgotten the maker, so I had to look it up. It's a Lodge skillet. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I should also mention that I have used water to clean it, a major no no, but not often (I usually use Veg oil only). I immediately dry it, then heat it up to remove moisture and re saturate with oil. Okay if you want to scold me for that.

Attached is a pic of the back.

Attachments

Last edited:

JOC

Joined Jun 29, 2020
Thanks!

With the glass top of the electric stove, I can't see the coil to know. I hadn't thought until making my post that it might be the stove and I should try the larger back burner to see if there is a difference.

I had forgotten the maker, so I had to look it up. It's a Lodge skillet. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I should also mention that I have used water to clean it, a major no no, but not often (I usually use Veg oil only). I immediately dry it, then heat it up to remove moisture and re saturate with oil. Okay if you want to scold me for that.

Thanks!

You are suppose to use water but NOT soap. Lodge is a good well known brand. You can google care of cast iron or the Lodge site should have care instructions. You are right.No coils on a glass top stove!

Joined Jul 28, 2020
I've seen some with coils
The coils are there. I can't see them except when they glow from heat, and it's hard to tell if they are tilted. I did find one online person who says that cast iron pans don't heat as evenly as alleged (I read it after posting). She says that you are supposed to turn the pan in order to heat it evenly.

I cook eggs in mine often, and the eggs on one side of the pan doesn't get heated as well until I turn the pan.

But still, does that even make sense that it's the pan's fault? I mean, how is it the pan, when it will heat when turned? Doesn't that mean it's a coil problem? If it's the pan, than wouldn't the side that doesn't 'heat' as well be just as problematic when turned? In my case it's always the farthest side from me that heats quickest. If I turn the pan, than the eggs will heat evenly.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I wouldn’t overthink the problem. It sounds like the pan isn’t getting enough pre-heating to become (relatively) temperature stabilized. The handle is a sizable amount of metal that takes a lot longer to heat up than the pan itself... and until it’s at near the temp of the pan it’s robbing heat. Happens to me, too, when rushing. :)

Joined Jul 28, 2020
I wouldn’t overthink the problem. It sounds like the pan isn’t getting enough pre-heating to become (relatively) temperature stabilized. The handle is a sizable amount of metal that takes a lot longer to heat up than the pan itself... and until it’s at near the temp of the pan it’s robbing heat. Happens to me, too, when rushing. :)
So is it common for you to spin your pan when it's heating up on the stove top?

Joined May 25, 2015
Well, there are coils but they are under the glass. You should see them when they get hot. Are you sure the bottom of the skillet is perfectly flat? Glass top electric burners are known for warping cookware bottoms.

Joined Jul 28, 2020
Well, there are coils but they are under the glass. You should see them when they get hot. Are you sure the bottom of the skillet is perfectly flat? Glass top electric burners are known for warping cookware bottoms.
I have a pic of the bottom of the pan above with it's Lodge emblem. It doesn't feel warped to me.

Joined Jul 28, 2020
Yes. I use gas cooktop at home and the burner is not equally hot around the ring of fire. Plus, it seems to get even more uneven when I have the vent hood on.
Well it's obvious to me for a number of reasons that I should as a matter of course do just that habitually.

I love the cast iron skillet like many do, and use it in the oven quite often to make, for me, an amazing pork loin. It's such a great tool.

Thank you BrianShaw, and others for your input.

Top Bottom