My almond roca was awful last Christmas.

Joined May 7, 2003
I am not sure what happened but it never became a pretty creamy carmel color - it ended up all greasy and had an oily part and a thick SLUDGE at the bottom. TWICE I made it that way. I might have used a different pan I can't remember what I used the year before when it turned out perfectly.

Does anyone have a good solid recipe or technique so that I don't waste all that sugar and butter and almonds!

Thank you.

:chef: wanna be

Joined May 7, 2003
2 c (1 lb) butter
2 c Sugar
1/2 c whole almonds
1 lg package choc chips
1/2 c Walnuts ground in a blender

Melt butter over high heat. Add sugar, stirring until it foams up well. Continue over high heat, adding almonds. Continue to cook, stirring continually until mixture is color of mahogany and sugar is all melted.

Stir as you take it off the hear permanently and pour quickly onto your biggest flat pan with sides. Tilt to spread evenly. After five m inuted pour on choc chips. When they have melted a bit, spread them over the top of the hot mixture with a rubber scraper. Scatter ground walnuts over the top evenly.

k - last year we renovated our home. New kitchen - gas stove. Both batches never congealed rather the butter ended up all separated from the bottom - but if I remember correctly it was almost as if it never even got close - not just that I missed my golden opportunity and cooked it too long.

I admit to being a more proficient cook than I am a baker but these did work for me one year and I have constant requests for a little package at CHristmas.

Thank you for any help -

smidg:)

Joined Mar 4, 2000
It sounds like (borderline) too much butter. Maybe you used a different butter that is higher in fat/ lower in moisture this most recent time, and it just pushed the fat ratio over the edge. I would increase the sugar to about 2 2/3 c, and even add 1/4 c of corn syrup, to help emulsify and tenderize the final product.

Top Bottom