Must've missed this board when I signed up.

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by shawtycat, Feb 12, 2002.

1. shawtycat

shawtycat

Hi,

I'm Jodi aka ShawtyCat (I got stuck with that in HS because Im only 5 foot 2). Anyway, I'm a mommy of 2, soon to be three, one boy, one girl and other unknown. I started cooking out of self defense since my grandmas can't cook and my mother would only give me a list of ingredients and tell me to "figure it out". I grew up in Barbados and came here in 88. I went to art school, took photography, nudes, painting, anatomy and had a few gallery showings. FIT wanted me in my Junior year but I couldn't be tied to a drawing board the rest of my life.

Thought I was gonna be a doc but it didn't work out. I have no patience for patients. Worked my way up the corporate ladder from Gopher to Supervisor of Auditing and started my own business. Sucks being your own boss. Taxes you know. So after a little soul searching during this pregnancy (due in June) I realized the one consistent thing I loved to do all my life was cook. I think about food all day, I dream about food all night, I think of nice little dishes to feed my kids, my husband is my lab rat and I love learning new/old techniques.

The weirdest thing about me is that my kids are Greek-West Indian-American. LOL One set of ancestry they can trace to when god made the world and the other......who the heck knows. My g-g-g-grandpa was Irish and Im not searching for who I am anymore. Kinda like being a mystery.

That's ShawtyCat in a nutshell. If I said anymore y'all would need therapy.

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Jodi,
    Thanks for giving us a quick biography. Conversations always seem more interesting when you know a little bit about the person behind the name.

Maybe you can tell us a little something about the foods of Barbados.

:lips:

3. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi shawtycat nice to have you here:)

Your children with so many roots must look wonderful :)

Welcome

4. isa

isa

Welcome Jodi!

At this time of the year, when you are under a few, I won't say feet, inches of snow Barbados cuisine sounds heavenly!

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Wow! You really jumped in with both feet! :bounce: We're glad to have you here. I second Momoreg's request: tell us about the food of Barbados, please!

6. shawtycat

shawtycat

My country is a melting pot. We have asians, indians, irishmen, scotsmen, germans, englishmen etc. So our food is very flavorful. We absolutely LOVE curry, hot sauce and peppers. There are a few national dishes that we love:

Flying Fish and Cou Cou

(Cou cou is cormeal cooked with okra. I've only made it once but I could get my mom to explain it more). I was just watching Food Network and realized what cou cou resembles. Polenta cooked with okra. The okra has to be cooked first then the cornmeal is added. Stir stir stir. You CANNOT walk away from this.

Pudding and Souse

The pudding is like a forcemeat without the meat. Its made by mixing cooked, mashed sweet potato (spanish sweet potato in this country. It has a maroon skin), and spices that are then stuffed into the casings.

The souse is cooked, chopped pig ears with cucumbers, some minced hot peppers and a small pinch of salt. Not sure what else the OLDER folk put into it.

Roti

Its kinda like a really thin, doughy tortilla (closest I can come to the wrap) filled with curried goat/beef/chicken and potatoes, carrots etc. This is spicy ok. Make sure you've got some beer or soda when eating this.:beer:

Fish Cakes

Made with Salted Cod that is boiled in water a few times (changing the water) until it reaches you level of salty. Pull out any bones, mash, add diced onion, minced hot pepper, fresh thyme leaves, black pepper and flour. Mix with a little water until everything sticks together then fry in hot oil till golden brown and drain. Makes a nice snack. Every bajan (including my 5 year old cousin) knows how to make these. No one does them the same.

Bakes

Im sure that no one has ever heard of these. This is our poor man's food. We eat these when there is nothing else but the staples. Mix 1 tablespoon of cornmeal for every 2 tablespoons of flour, add ground cinnamon and sugar to your taste and a pinch of salt. Mix with water. I usually add until it does a thick ribbon. And fry in oil until golden brown then drain. The more you mix the batter the more they will puff up. They are kinda like zeppoles minus the powdered sugar.

And we love Rice & Peas like any other self respecting West Indian. We eat alot of rice, veggies, soup, fruits, fish and salad. The difference between us and america is that there is NO salad dressing on your salad. The salad is served fresh from the garden on Sunday with dinner.

If I missed anything Im sure some other West Indian will come along and lecture me about it.

Oh Yeah: We are absolute FANATICS about RED SNAPPER :chef:

Check out my WWW button. Just a few pics. Don't look at em all.

7. culinarian247

culinarian247

I was gonna be a doc too. I even got a 37 S on my MCATs. It sucked working in a hospital. Not helping people, mind you. Just felt like I didn't belong there.

8. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    The fish cakes sound YUMMY. And the bakes!

I looked at some of your pics, and the kids are soooo adorable!! So nice of you to share them, Shawty.

9. blissflavors

blissflavors

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hello! I will wait until my wife returns. She suggested I communicate with established caterers to learn how to complete the establishment of the company, such as registering the brand, copyrighting, etc. Sorry to for the instrusion.

10. cook-jetto

cook-jetto

welcome to the best tasting forum here:chef: HAppy posting!

11. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Blissflavors, this thread is quite old. I suggest you begin a new one in the Chefs' Discussion forum. Please contact me if you're not sure how to do that.

Mezzaluna