MUST SEE, Anna W. cakes, their wonderful!

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by w.debord, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w.debord

w.debord

I hope this o.k. to post reference to another site...but I just saw Anna W.'s cakes at another site and their so wonderful I hope all of you take the time to view them. I'm so delighted that she shares here too!

Look at http:disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?id=40679&article=30514

She has photos posted in three places with in this thread...each is more amazing then the next.

2. anna w.

anna w.

Gee thanks- now I'm blushing! Maybe I should hire you to do my marketing!

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I tried that link, Wendy, but it doesn't connect. I have no doubt that Anna makes exquisite cakes, and I look forward to seeing them.

4. solanna

solanna

5. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Maybe it's me, but that one doesn't work either...:(

6. w.debord

w.debord

Hum, the last link did work for me, not sure why they didn't for you Momoreg...?. Here's another way go to:

http://w3.one.net/~proicer/message/message.htm

Then scroll down the massage board and click on the wedding cake subject. When you click into weddings scroll down the page abit and you see a message posted by a person called sweet artist, she posted Anna's photos. In that thread theres 3 different places where a couple photos each are posted, so you kind of have to read thru the thread abit. to find each post.

But I think it's worth the time and effort. Anna really really does wonderful work! I'd be honored to rep. you Anna (unforunately I'm clueless about that stuff).

P.S. I'm dieing to know your techniques on a couple things....The gold painted on chocolate wedding cake is AUESOME!!! Please, please share how you did that? Then on your hat box and top hat cake the striping again...is just wonderful. How did you do those?

7. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Most beautiful cakes, Anna!

I am in absolute awe of all you bakers out there; I have absolutely no patience for turning out masterpieces like this!!
    My hat is off to all of you!!:smiles: :smiles: :smiles:

8. anna w.

anna w.

Thanks Marmalady. I try my best- working on becoming rich and famous :)!

W.- the chocolate cake was covered with choco-pan (noire) and then I used a flexible angle to help paint on luster dust mixed with lemon extract. Same deal with the hat cake, which is actually a copy of a Colette Peters from her wedding cake book. It comes with complete instructions. Thanks again- you've been a great cheerleader!

9. spoons

spoons

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Saw your beautiful cakes on the other side, Anna.
    You should have a website. Did you ever consider doing one?

10. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Oh man...
    Well, the link got me to the message board, but when I clicked on the wedding cake info, I got zilch. Oh well, guys, thanks for trying. I hope to see some pics in the future.

11. risa

risa

Gorgeous cakes Anna. As an enthusiastic amateur, I can fully appreciate all the work and love that goes into each cake. Your work is very inspiring.

Try this link momoreg:
    Anna's cakes

The pictures are all in the posts by Sweet Artist. Three posts total.

12. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    [​IMG]

13. w.debord

w.debord

Where can I buy a flexible angle? It still takes some nice accuracy to keep your line thickness consistant!

Another question, how did you handle/support the weight of your flowers pulling on the sides of your cake and fondant? Also I can't see clearly what you did for your borders on that one....? It's gold...what?

14. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Georgeous work, Anna. :chef: :) :chef:

15. anna w.

anna w.

I made my angle out of a manilla folder and covered it with contact paper. As far as keeping the lines constant- the chocolate one was just painted on with a brush, following the edge of the angle. On the hat box, the lines were measured out and quilted first- then I painted between the lines. The hat box was easier than the chocolate and if you look close, much more precise also. Which is ok for me because depending on the cake, I like the "painterly" look.

All those chocolate roses and leaves were made of choco-pan mixed with gum trag and the roses were on toothpicks. I didn't have a problem getting them to stay in. If they seem heavy on the sides you can usually use the flowers below to prop them up. Even if you are doing a graduating cascade, the most flowers are at the bottom and can support the ones on top of it.

The borders on the cake and the cakeboard were made of gold ribbon.

16. ziggy

ziggy

excuse me for stumbling in here...just lurking aroudn the baking forums....

WOW!!!!! Those are absolutely incredible! Really really beautiful!!

17. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I have to talk to my computor advisor (my spouse) about why I can't get into that part of the site. Most curious...:confused:

18. w.debord

w.debord

Poor Momoreg of all the people who would be most interested...........hope your hubby fixes your computor soon! I'd like to read ...and compare how you'd (and Dana, where'd she go?) support your flowers on the sides of your cakes. I've always done similar to Anna (I don't know of a better way) but I have to say I've walked away with worry on my mind, worrying that they could all tumble if someone knocked the table wrong.

(P.S. Yes, I'm always the worrier)

I really appreciate your sharing nature Anna. It made me smile when you said how you figured out the angles with a manila folder.....neccesity IS the mother of invention, I LOVE IT!:bounce:

I do remember you mentioning before how you were making tons of roses...it must have been for that cake. Was that an order or did you do that for your own portfolio?

Also I noticed something I'm curious about in your photos (no draping behind some, just a blue screen look). I don't know how you get that blank background without using a photoshop editing program. I'd like to one day be able to do that. Would you explain how, please?

19. anna w.

anna w.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I appreciate them all. I try my best.

Wendy-

The chocolate one won a local pastry competition in 2000. As far as making roses goes, it seems as if they are the flower I make the most (that particular cake had about 90-100) and I could have been making them for almost any cake.

As I told you before, I am so computer illiterate it isn't even funny. The photos with a plain background were photos that I cut out with scissors because I didn't like the background :)! Nothing high tech. The blue is construction paper. My friend was trying to blow up some of my pics using her computer and that is when she decided to post them on that other board. Wish I could help you but I am clueless. Whenever I need some real work done (like picture postcards or an ad) I call my computer professional friend and he takes care of it.

20. w.debord

w.debord

Oh man....those high tech scissors did it, too funny really.

Well now I know....I've seen similar at some rather nice sites and wondered how in the world (here I am playing with photoshop, illustrator, publisher and such)...HA, it's actually too funny cause I'd never guessed it was that basic! See, another reason why I should have had kids. SCISSORS, HAAAAAAAAAAA!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.