Mushroom season!!

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Went out for my first mushroom outing. My goal was to find porcini mushrooms, and I didn't find any. Found a lot of other things though...

This one I'm not going to eat, however it does announce that there may be porcini around (there weren't):

1. amanite.jpg

Yes! Laccaria amethystina! Love those in a simple omelette. Found quite a few of them but I like only the tiny younger ones.

2. Laccaria amethystina.jpg

Score! Hedgehog. Found only 3 of them but it put a smile on my face. I love their flavor.

3. hedgehog.jpg

Puffballs! I've never cooked one so I decided not to pick them but one day I'll have to try them out.

4. Puffballs.jpg

No need to hide below that branch buddy, You're cute, but I'm not touching you with a ten-foot pole.

5. Amanite.jpg

YES!! Horn of plenty. Now that's the treat of the day. I'll have to sauté you guys to serve along with some duck breasts for tonight.

6. horn of plenty.jpg

This is the harvest:

champosisi.jpg

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Congratulations. That's a nice haul. Glad you know your mushrooms. I've tried but haven't ever found any I knew I could eat. Have mushroom book but no one I've talked to locally is willing to share their locations. I'll have to get out and keep looking.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Congratulations. That's a nice haul. Glad you know your mushrooms. I've tried but haven't ever found any I knew I could eat. Have mushroom book but no one I've talked to locally is willing to share their locations. I'll have to get out and keep looking.
Yes locations are often closely guarded... just have to find the right people who will take you along and show you at least one or two types of mushrooms to get started.

I'm lucky that I met a few people willing to take me along the first few times, and show me how to identify a few of them. It's interesting how everyone knows different mushrooms. Every time I go with someone different I learn about a different type of mushroom.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
I really want to get into this -- lots of damp woods around here, and lots of mushrooms, but no idea if they're edible -- but every time I look there doesn't seem to be anything locally where I can do a walkalong and learn, or a class, or anything. I should look harder; I'm sure it exists, I just haven't found it.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I really want to get into this -- lots of damp woods around here, and lots of mushrooms, but no idea if they're edible -- but every time I look there doesn't seem to be anything locally where I can do a walkalong and learn, or a class, or anything. I should look harder; I'm sure it exists, I just haven't found it.
Yes there are groups and associations out there. Maybe start by looking online and ask an online community. Here's a link that may help? https://namyco.org/

Latest posts

Top Bottom