Mushroom Question

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mrdecoy1, Dec 28, 2012.

1. mrdecoy1

mrdecoy1

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hi my wife loves mushrooms in an omelette (in anything really) I usually saute them in butter, shallots and a little wine but am wondering what are some other ways to make them? are there other ways to really bring out the flavor in mushrooms? thanks. 

2. dobzre

dobzre

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Method 1. Remove the stems from the mushrooms toss them in oil salt and pepper and roast them  on high heat until well browned, then simmer them in water to make a mushroom stock. Use the stock in addition to your method.

Method 2. Use finely chopped dried mushrooms, ones with aggressive flavors like portabellas and sprinkle them into the omelette itself as opposed to just filling it  

Method 3. Do both HA!

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    There's lots of ways.  But my favorite way is to wash them the day before, slice them and leave them in the refrigerator over night to really dry out.  I then sautee them in a large aluminum pan, no salt just a handful of shrooms at a time.  This allows the mushrooms to get a nice color and evaporates the moisture quickly.  Once they are all done you can put them back in the pan altogether along with whatever aromatics you like.  I like garlic, thyme and butter.

4. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
  5. thatchairlady

thatchairlady

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I like white buttons raw... instead of a chip for dips.  Mushrooms (raw) and onions/shallots (VERY thinly sliced) in a vinegarette makes a nice dressing for a salad.