Muffins

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by cakerbecky, May 30, 2017.

1. cakerbecky

cakerbecky

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hello,

I am trying to find/create a muffin recipe that closely resembles the texture and crumb of McDonalds and Tim Horton's. I was curious if anyone had any tips (creaming method vs muffin method), etc. For some reason muffins are my nemesis.

thank you.

2. beelost

beelost

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Is it possible to cook smth like that at home. I suspect they add many "unhealthy" ingredients and you just won't do this to your lovely homemade muffins /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

3. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I'm not familiar with these muffins. What is unique about their crumb?

Kyle

4. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Two months and nothing else from the OP.
    Another hit and run question.

mimi

5. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    It often happens when they don't hear what they want :)

6. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    I do wonder if the texture and crumb of store bought or fast food muffins is due to additives rather than any special recipe or technique. when I muffins it is flour, fat, milk, salt, sugar and baking powder, then whatever you want to add. the last time I read the label of an Otis S. muffin, it had 3 times as many ingredients.

7. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Bingo.

mimi

8. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    An old FB post of mine illustrates your point I think... 12644992_785373741567039_2806322612387213219_n.jpg

flipflopgirl likes this.
  9. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Up to a point it does. Yours is missing the required parentheticals.

These are the ingredients for KA AP: "INGREDIENTS: UNBLEACHED ENRICHED HARD WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN (VITAMIN B3), REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID)".

These are the ingredients for baking powder - and the range of options is generally divulged: sodium bicarbonate (also known as baking soda or bicarbonate of soda) and one or more acid salts. Typical formulations (by weight) call for 30% sodium bicarbonate, 5-12% monocalcium phosphate, and 21-26% sodium aluminum sulfate.

But your list will likely be smaller nonetheless. Why is salt and leavening so high on your list... it doesn't seem to be in the normal order of proportion.

I wonder different things about commercial muffins.... why are they so similar. I suspect it has a lot to do with, for example, widespread use of products like BakeMark Muffin Mixes.

10. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    My ingredient list is not in order of proportion. I listed them off the top of my head to make a point on Facebook, but your points are well taken. And I agree, commercial muffins today are primarily from mixes, frozen batters, and predeposited muffin trays.