Muffins not raising

Joined Nov 23, 2003
Hello,

Have a query, I have just recently made some chocolocate muffins, using same ingredients as previously they no longer "raise". Anyone have any ideas why this might be? I get a glossy chocolate sheen on top instead.

1/3 cup flour
1 cup icing sugar
2/3 cup hazelnut meal
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter
100 gram dark chocolate
1/4 cup cocoa powder

Thanks.

Joined Dec 4, 2001
You are missing an ingredient - a rising agent like baking powder or baking soda. Without one or the other your muffins won't rise.

Jock

Joined Nov 23, 2003
The egg is enough of a raising agent for this recipe, I have made this before and it was fine and I have modified this recipe for a diabetic friendly banana muffin and that raises fine with just the egg. But I went to make this again (haven't made it for a while) and then this happens.

Joined Dec 4, 2001
I'll take your word for it. I am not a baker but it seems to me there is a lot of heavy stuff in the recipe for eggs alone to give it rise. Otherwise, it beats me.

Jock

Joined Nov 23, 2003
I don't want to waste too many muffins trying to get them to look "normal". Might try a pinch of baking powder though or using self raising flour instead.

Joined Sep 19, 2003
Fuznik, I have been following a thread about Hazelnut flour somewhere else. It seems as though there are tremendous variations in the density of the flour. One batch 4oz=1 cup; different batch 4oz=1 2/3 cup. That's enough of a difference to foul up a pan of muffins. Especially if your rise is dependent on the eggs alone.:bounce:

Joined Nov 23, 2003
The annoying thing is I am using the exact same ingredients as the first time and they came out just right and were fine for a few times after that. Will have to tweak the recipe a little. Thanks.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
In another thread pertaining to hazlenut flour, the person measured it by weight. x grams equaled around 1 cup. Weeks or months later x grams (the same weight) then equaled 1 3/4 cups of hazlenut flour. Somehow density of that specific flour varies widely so it may help you to know the exact weight of flour that you're using. IMHO hazlenut flour may be the culprit.

A leavening agent such as baking powder won't help in your recipe since no acidic medium such as buttermilk or yogurt is included.

Top Bottom