MSG

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by planethoff, Jul 28, 2012.

1. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    I know over the last 20+ years people have become aware of how bad MSG is from a health standpoint, but it seems to still be used quite heavily in many areas.  Back in the eighties Chinese take out was a big culprit but massive grassroots boycott seemed to change their ways. However, The fight was never brought to fast food, latin cuisine, or southern cooking.  Does anyone here still endorse or advocate the use of MSG (Accent!)?  I started thinking about this while creating a knock-off Chick-fil-A sandwich.  (which btw the secret is marinating the chicken in pickle juice and using powdered sugar in the flour mix)  and for the record I did not use MSG and it was still awesome.

2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Can you point me to one, legitimate, peer-reviewed study in an authoritative publication (not health-food, holistic, or similar) showing that MSG is dangerous?  I've sought but can't find. 

My impression is that after all these years there are no proven links to disease.  But I wouldn't mind being wrong.

BDL

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  3. scubadoo97

scubadoo97

Exp:
    At home cook
    Don't think you will find it BDL.

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I consider myself one of the "people". I haven't become aware of any such thing. If anything, I've heard vague accounts of how MSG could potentially be bad, but I've heard just about as many accounts of how the former accounts were false. 

In other news....

- Garlic sprout can be the cause of cancer, 

- Soy can make men impotent, 

- Gluten is the cause of all your ailments, 

- You can become deaf if you.... (oops, wrong forum). 

5. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Only because it doesn't exist my brother.

BDL

6. chefdave11

chefdave11 Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  7. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Tofu is Communist, and will make you sterile. 

8. chefdave11

chefdave11 Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's Ridiculous!  Tofu is NOT communist!

9. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You believe what you want in your kitchen ... I'll believe what I want in mine.   Oh, and by-the-way ... same thing for mayonnaise ... Communism and sterility.   Nasty stuff. 

10. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It's been in use for over a hundred years in Japanese cuisine. The wiki article on it's history and usage is interesting. I did not know for instance that the taste of "umami" was first coined to describe the flavor sensation that MSG was isolated to be responsible for. It occurs naturally in the seaweed dashi kombu.

11. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    No!

Not communist, no way .

Its Marxist/img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif

12. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    BDL - No.  You are correct.  All scientific studies I have seen have not shown MSG to be a direct health risk to the "normal" person.  However, these same studies have shown that a large percentage of the population (30 - 40%) is "MSG intolerant" and has long list of potential negative reactions to it.   To me that makes it suspect for other problems, but again, just my opinion.  But by your post I guess you use and endorse its use?  Et tu, FrenchFries?

I have no proof, but along with high fructose corn syrup, I think MSG is a leading cause of obesity.    JMHO.

Iceman - I get the tofu thing, but Mayo?  Even if it's made from scratch?  Commie how?  (I actually don't really like mayo, but I'm curious)

Chef Dave - Good link, but also proves BDL's stance.  Aspertane clouded the results in the double blind study.  FDA shut the book.  Case closed.  And the government never turns a blind eye to the truth even if it might threaten corporate profit right? ;) 

13. chefdave11

chefdave11 Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If the FDA came out point blank and said that any amount of MSG is bad for you, would that change the eating habits of 95% of Americans?  Probably not.  The population of this country has already proven that over and over again.  Most people just don't care (If I get sick, there's a pill for that...right?).  The people that do care, well, most of them have access to this interweb thingy and have already researched it.

In this day and age, whatever your "opinion" is, you can find resources to back it up.

14. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    IMHO, the leading cause of obesity in the USA is consuming more calories than required for the activity level of each individual.

It is not, IMHO, what one eats, it is how much one eats!

15. chefdave11

chefdave11 Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's a very simplistic and old-school way of understanding metabolism.  Yes, if you're body is burning 2000 calories a day and you're putting in 3000 calories, you're gonna get fat. But...

Science has come a long way since, but shhhh.....Don't tell the pharmaceutical or agricultural  industries.

Not all calories are created equal, and the way we metabolize calories from fats, proteins, simple (sugars) or complex carbohydrates varies.  It can vary between individuals as well - the "ideal" diet for one person isn't necessarily the right one for someone else.

Dr. Mercola has a ton of research-based articles regarding this topic in particular.

16. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    Chef Dave - I used opinion, because I could not come up with info that fit the scientific criteria BDL was requesting, but I agree people on the whole are going to do what they do anyway.  This leads me to my other point:

Pete - Yes.  Calorie intake and physical activity determines and controls weight.  BUT  modern technology has been able to let our food providers manipulate our food and drink with addictive chemicals and brainwash us with advertisement overload to get us to consume more to increase their bottom line.  Look at the soft drink debate in NYC (as ridiculous as it is) -  It would be suicide for a politician to go after a corporation to do the right thing nutritionally, so they are forced to regulate the individual consumption. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...ls-latest-addiction-epidemic-article-1.385499

http://www.naturalnews.com/025418_MSG_food_health.html

Again - not credible sources by BDL's standards, but a starting block to truth.

Again to the basic question....... Who here still uses and/or endorses MSG?

17. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    When I went to college back in the 60s  my final paper was on MSG. and since that date little has been learned. The process of making it has changed but health claims pro and con have never been proven by science. One  thing we know is that it makes you thirsty. . When it was used the supposed disease was called Chines Syndrome. Where some people thought they were having a heart attack (some in a study by the way wre on a Placebo)  Originally it was derived from a fermantation of seaweed by the agomotto company. Today it is made from beets. In any event it is also a naturaslly occuring chemical in certain foods. There have been no recorded heart attacks, strokes or deaths directly attributed to MSG

PS  Don't believe everything the USDA FDA states, as they are both minipulated by politics and in fact are inadaquate. The peanut butter plant in Georgia that made all those people sick about a year ago is still operating, as are many meat plants that had many outbreaks of E Colli. In addition only about 30% of fish brought into this country is inspected So dont worry about MSG  we have much bigger issues.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  18. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've used it.. indirectly. I don't sprinkle pure msg crystals on my food like some Japanese. Like I posted earlier above, if you've ever made a dish including Kombu then you have used MSG as well. It occurs naturally.. it wasn't made in a lab.

Edit: Was typing while edb was too /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  19. scubadoo97

scubadoo97

Exp:
    At home cook
    I do.  It has it's place in the kitchen as other ingredients.  As for the nay sayers, I'm sure there are those with legitimate sensitivities but often it's someone who claims it causes them issues yet can eat Doritos without any problem.