Moving to Upstate NY

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by biltmorecook, Aug 3, 2003.

1. biltmorecook

biltmorecook

I was wondering if anyone had any information about the Hyde Park and Rhinebeck region of New York.

I am a cook who was already graduated from culinary school, and looking to move to the area for personal reasons. I am aware that the CIA is located in Hyde Park, and that at some jobs I might have a slight disadvantage because of the abundance of cooks in the area.

I have been out of culinary school for 4+ years now, and have worked mostly in a 4 diamond hotel (haven't got the 4 stars because the hotel is located on private property).

Information I am looking for is primarily job related, as in, places to check out, places to avoid, pay rate, and places to live. Any info at all would be a great help. Thanks.

P.S. Mods, if this isn't the right forum, please move at your descresion.

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The heart of the Hudson Valley is loaded with great restaurants, inns, and hotels, but it is difficult to find jobs there as many chefs, sick of the city life, have headed up that way to find a more relaxing pace of life. Some places to do research would be back issues of just about every food mag. there is. It seems that they have all done expansive issues covering the Hudson Valley in the last 5 years. Yahoo search engine helped me out when I was considering looking for a job in that area. Just type in Inn, New York, and start looking for inns in the towns you are considering. I also found many places by hunting for hotels, lodging, etc. After finding places, I made a list then did searches on those places to get reviews, etc. I know the Sagamore is up in that area-great place to work, if you can get in!!

3. ironchefatl

ironchefatl

Exp:
    Other
    Hi again Biltmorecook. So I am moving there and you are coming here? HMMM
    I don't know much about the places around here to work too much as I have not worked around here. I think that on the other side of the river from here it is a more fun place to live. New Paltz is the city closest. Newburgh is the largest of the local places. Poughkeepsie is second, but I have not seen much fine dining. There is a very expensive Inn and Spa about 45 mins from the Hyde Park area. The chef is cool I have met him. I am going to ask a friend is he still has the card. I dont think I do. Why this area anyway? If you want to check out city options too. I know quite few people that dont mind the fourty-five (to an hour) minute comute via train, if you live a bit further south than Hyde Park. There are alot of great places to work in NYC. Cheaper rent out here, but you gotta comute. I will try to find out more. Also is this the exact area you NEED to move to? It is pretty boring.

4. biltmorecook

biltmorecook

Quite ironic isn't it? Well, there are quite a few personal reasons that I want it to be that area, but I won't get into those too much. In the area, of up to about 45 minutes from Hyde Park is what I am looking for. So far, I am checking out Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz, and the Belvedere Mansion in Rhinebeck. And from what apartments and rental houses I have seen in the area, most likely I'll be moving to New Paltz.

Now all I have to do is wait, which I am not good at, and see if Mohonk or Belvedere call me, find an apartment, and raise the cash to move. Prepared, aren't I?:D

5. ironchefatl

ironchefatl

Exp:
    Other
    New Paltz is alot of fun. It is a cool little town. There is a pizza shop called Italian Supreme, it is awsome pizza! On this side of the river we have only cheap chewy crusted pizzas. The pizza at Italian Supreme is off the hook. I am sorry I cannot be as much help as you were, but I don't pay much attention to the world outside of the CIA. By the way I am starting there (Biltmore) on the 19th, for orientation. I am starting at the Inn as my first assignment.

6. biltmorecook

biltmorecook

August 19th?? And starting at the Inn?? I'll still be there at the time, as I won't be able to afford to move to NY until almost Oct. at least. I work PM shift at the Inn, so you'll at least run into me the first couple of days. I look forward to you starting, and at least talking about NY.

7. ironchefatl

ironchefatl

Exp:
    Other
    My B.E.S.T orientation is the 19th and 20th of August. I am moving on the 16th to Asheville. They told me I would be at the Inn first. Maybe it will or won't change. I will see you then. By the way my name is Terry. I hope I can help you with some decisions about your move.

8. biltmorecook

biltmorecook

Chef Scott just posted the schedule today, and your name is on it. Though, since our weeks run Thursday thru Wednesday, your name is on it, but slated for the 19th and 20th is BEST training. He won't make out the next schedule until next Saturday, that's when we'll find out what shift you'll start on, or if you'll start in the bake shop.

9. ironchefatl

ironchefatl

Exp:
    Other
    cool! Thanks to ChefTalk and you, I can check my schedule at a new job over 800 miles away.:)

10. biltmorecook

biltmorecook

I took a closer look at the schedule today, and you'll be starting on the AM shift. So it will most likely be a 7-3 or an 8-4.

As for possible jobs for me.... a friend of mine who is a Culinary grad is naming a few places like "The Garrison", "The Brick House" and "Hyde Park Brewing Co". So I am gonna be checking out those places as possible employers.